Ancient yeast revived to make beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That dude taught at my school. Never took a class of his, but I did see him give a presentation about the process of extracting yeast that's been dormant for millions of years. Interesting stuff.

Of course you all do realize how that led to all those problems in Jurassic Park don't you? F-ing around with stuff encased in amber.....I can just see some overzealous homebrewers beginning to extract dna from amber now....and then pitching it into starters.

blob.jpg

*shudder*

;)

So when people talk about violent fermentation, does that mean a velociraptor comes crashing out of the fermenter and eats you.

Seed distributors around my neck of the woods have done this for years, and they will sue a farmer for *one* plant that was one year late in blooming... of course the farmers are not happy, but a contract is a contract.

What's interesting, and I would guess this is a conscious decision to protect his "discovery," is I didn't read anywhere that this ancient strain genome sequence was compared to modern yeast strains. It could very well be identical to one of the strains currently in production. If it is indeed identical to an existing strain then it would eliminate any monetary gain for Mr. Cano so I doubt he has any interest in taking that step.

The reanimation of the yeast is a great discovery in and of itself.

I wonder if they pasteurize their brew before they sell it.

At the end of the article he talks about how he is concerned because the beer is unfiltered and another brewer can easily reuse the yeast. He has filed for a patent on the strain for this reason and he sequenced the genome so he will know if another brewer is using his strain.

Honestly, there are so many fantastic yeast strains out there that beyond the "wonder" of this discovery it's not all that valuable. If the yeast had some amazing properties not found in any modern yeast that would be one thing, but from what I've read in the descriptions of the beer made with the yeast it is another phenolic Belgian style yeast that likes to drop out of suspension too early. If anything this is a substandard yeast for that fact alone.

I wonder if they pasteurize their brew before they sell it.

Probably not. The article said the reason he got a patent was because it was unfiltered and someone could steal it.

Looks like you can currently get it in Manteca, CA and Guerneville, CA at Sumptown Brewery and Kelly Bros. Brewing Co.

i can confirm this, had it at stumptown a few years back at their beer revival. it was pretty tasty actually.

I just realized these guys, Fossil Fuels Brewing Co, will be at the California Brewers Festival this weekend. I plan on taking a notepad and taking notes of the beers I try. I will be sure to hit them up early before the keg kicks.

I just realized these guys, Fossil Fuels Brewing Co, will be at the California Brewers Festival this weekend. I plan on taking a notepad and taking notes of the beers I try. I will be sure to hit them up early before the keg kicks.

Darn it, I'm tapped out this weekend and can't afford the brewer's festival. This is especially annoying as I'd driven up to Guerneville a couple weeks ago to try and get a pint of it and had a disappointing wheat beer instead. :(

Of course you all do realize how that led to all those problems in Jurassic Park don't you?

HBT Chaos Theory:

God creates dinosaurs.
God destroys dinosaurs.
God creates man.
Man creates beer.
Man is happy.
God is envious.
Man creates dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs eat man.
Dinosaurs drink beer.
Dinosaurs are happy.
God is baffled.

HBT Chaos Theory:

God creates dinosaurs.
God destroys dinosaurs.
God creates man.
Man creates beer.
Man is happy.
God is envious.
Man creates dinosaurs.
Dinosaurs eat man.
Dinosaurs drink beer.
Dinosaurs are happy.
God is baffled.

Finally!!! An understandable theory of the 2012 apocalypse, you've got 2 years boys and girls, drink up before the dinosaurs steal your beer!:ban:

Finally!!! An understandable theory of the 2012 apocalypse, you've got 2 years boys and girls, drink up before the dinosaurs steal your beer!:ban:

The Terribleasaurus Wrecks might be able to use those claws at the end of its stubby little arms like a bottle opener, but they are too short for him to be able to drink my beer. I'm safe on this one.

Back