Show us your other obsession(s)...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bowhuntah:

Regarding your tattoo -- Aviendha from "Wheel of Time"?

Awesome! But, why do you need to perforate the top ring of that butt plug?

haha... it helps release built up air and helps the overall function...

actually, those are earring holders.

Nice. Is that kimchi? I just packed away my first batch of sauerkraut, and want to try more fermented vegetables.

yessir, fermenting veggies is lots of fun. one thing you might want to try is getting some plastic screw on lids for quart or larger ball jars, drill a hole in the lid and slap an airlock in there, that way you don't really have to worry about weighing down the top. sauerkraut is my fave, i like to do half green, half red, makes a nice pink kraut.

Dough recipe and technique?

that is a picture of a "chicago thin crust", i'll have to post the recipe/technique when i get home later.

Dough recipe and technique?

Chicago style thin crust – First attempt (2 x 14”)

Flour (100%): 500.35 g | 17.65 oz | 1.1 lbs (ALL PURPOSE)
Water (50%): 250.17 g | 8.82 oz | 0.55 lbs
IDY (.75%): 3.75 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.25 tsp | 0.42 tbsp
Salt (1.25%): 6.25 g | 0.22 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.3 tsp | 0.43 tbsp
Corn Oil (5%): 25.02 g | 0.88 oz | 0.06 lbs | 5.56 tsp | 1.85 tbsp
Butter (3%): 14.73 g | 0.52 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.11 tsp | 1.04 tbsp
Total (160%): 785.55 g | 27.71 oz | 1.73 lbs | TF = 0.09
Single Ball: 392.77 g | 13.85 oz | 0.87 lbs

Dissolve water/salt, mix ½ of flour, yeast together.
Combine water/salt and flour/yeast, oil/butter with paddle, knead for about 8 mins.
Attempt to add other ½ of flour, incorporate as best as possible. It's gonna be really shaggy, not all the flour will be incorporated.
Put into oiled bowl to 1.5 hr rise in oven w/ light and cup of hot water for humidity, no cover on the bowl.
Scale (divide), allow to rise for another 1-2 hrs, or put into fridge for future use.
Preheat stone for 1 hr at 500.
Roll by hand to desired thinness, add topppings, slide onto stone for about 10 minutes to bake.

My mods: Corn oil was more like 28g, butter was more like 16g, let rise in oven for about 2 hrs with light on, cup of hot water and no cover on bowl. Removed to counter, split into two, put one in fridge, other on counter, both in dough proofers, sprayed with oil to remoisten surfaces. Let room one rise again while oven warms up.

1st day dough was a little tough, very cracker like when cooked on the stone.
2nd day dough was much more like commercial thin crust, slightly chewy and crunchy, overnight rise seems to be the right way.

wait you guys have time for other obsessions? I have SWMBO and brewing... the rest kind of got pushed aside... If I had more time (like before i got married) it would be: guns, hunting, fishing, 4 wheeling, woodworking, hot rods, aquariums, hobby farming and cooking. Since ive been married its: her, cooking, hobby farming and brewing... apparently time disappears when women are around.

Welcome to CrossFit: Forging Elite Fitness

I have been doing crossfit for a while now and I could never go back to a traditional gym or workout routine. It is a great community that is super supportive. One day I would love to train for the crossfit games but there is no where near enough time in my life to devote many hours a day to training.

Chromados

apparently time disappears when women are around.

Depends on the woman. What are the time demands she requires of you? Im not saying my wife has none, but I still have time for most of my hobbies regularly. And we have a kid too.

I played in my football league today, and planned a camping/fishing trip for April.

Driving and forever tinkering with my Pontiac.
DSC_2354.jpg

Dude that Poncho is (.)(.)'s

davidr2340... do you have those pics posted on a poker forum? I believe I saw those when I was looking for inspiration for my poker table build. They look nice.

Here's how mine turned out... (and another of my obsessions :))

Lights off
Poker_Table_1.jpg

Red Lights on
Poker_Table_R_2.jpg

Multi-color Lights on (Final Table)
Poker_Table_MC_2.jpg

Both Lights on and full view of table
IMG_1831.JPG

The stain was a pain in the rear... I stained and sanded at least four times each to get it to fade... the pictures don't really do it justice. It has a nice sheen and fade in person.

Great work on your table! Amazing actually!

I used to frequent Scott's Poker Table Forums back in the day!

I must say unionrdr... that is a well organized brewing space. And a buttload of Leinenkugel's boxes.

Well.. Even though one of my (many!) hobbies is photography, I don't really take any pictures of my hobbies.. BUT.. I'll at least list them off..

- Amateur Radio, anything RF related
- Photography, mostly still life, product shots
- RC planes (electric), both building and flying
- Shooting (pistols, rifles, but not a hunter)
- Aquariums (freshwater, but kinda pulling back a bit)
- Pool, APA, but taking a break from league
- Collecting pipes and pipe smoking
- Music, violin and irish whistle (though play neither very well)
- Flight sims, want to learn to fly, love plans. Fly X-Plane myself
- Linux, was a linux admin for about 10 years, burnt out on IT but still tinker at home
- This may sound weird, but parties. We tend to host some pretty epic parties, it is almost a hobby in itself. DEFINITELY not posting pictures from those :)

motocross
building pirate ships out of trash
tiny trucks
catching and raising wild animals

44420_10100355990020024_8366569_66808738_1333549_n.jpg

minitruck.jpg

pirate ship.jpg

toby.jpg

I have many hobbies such as tinkering with computers, mountain biking, acoustic guitar, surf fishing, camping, hanging w/ wife 4 kids and dog, but my biggest obsession is golf. A very frustrating and impossible game to master. I think I'm the only golfer so far!

... but my biggest obsession is golf. A very frustrating and impossible game to master. I think I'm the only golfer so far!

Nah, there are others here, we just refuse to admit it's an obsession...:drunk:

dood, sweet daihatsu, i used to roll one of those around a golf course years ago.
It was a beast, we unblocked 4th gear and took the governor off the engine and were able to get it up to 80mph. It was gnarly. Unfortunately we sold it

That's got to be close to (or over) ten grand in PRS alone! Nicely done. Love the Explorer and V's. I don't see any SGs...one of my personal faves. I'm not a musician, just a huge fan, and I know guitars pretty well...

I have a lot of distractions besides homebrewing..I'm into making stuff, crazy Christmas and Halloween decorating, Duning, Archery,bow making, bow hunting, Etc.
buck.jpg

deer07_8_300.jpg

cannon.jpg

house_2010_3_800.jpg

Wheelie500.jpg

I do some climbing and skiing. In fact it was my visits to Colorado that introduced me to craft beer and eventually homebrewing.

Tunig Fork 1.jpg

Tunig Fork 2.jpg

Tuning fork 3.jpg

tuning fork 4.jpg

That's got to be close to (or over) ten grand in PRS alone! Nicely done. Love the Explorer and V's. I don't see any SGs...one of my personal faves. I'm not a musician, just a huge fan, and I know guitars pretty well...

LOL thanks! I have only ever had one SG, it had a crazy issue with the neck that I was never able to get repaired properly. I would like to have another one at some time, but can't justify it right now! :D

Cool thread.

I love to fish and monkey around at our property in North Central MN. Cheering on our Bulldogs to a NT in St Paul was mabye my best moment last year.

full-5554-11929-fall20110502.jpg

2008 opener 29 inch Walleye.jpg

aumd0411n_500px.jpg

F4 2011 016.jpg

Lake 10-06.jpg

Back