Bike pump carbonator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xebra

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and am not quite ready to invest in a true kegging system nor do I have the bottle supply or tools necessary to bottle. I have 4 1-gallon batches fermenting right now so I was hoping to cheat on how I store my delicoius nectar without messing with bottling and yet still be able to drink it carbonated. After a lot of research, I think I have a working game plan. I may be completely wrong (and I usually am) so I am hoping to get some input from the community.

Step 1: I want to recycle a bag of franzia (http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To:-Reuse-Franzia-or-any-other-"Wine-In-A-Box/) to create an easy storage container that keeps for a long time and yet can be taken from at any time.

Step 2: Transfer to a champagne bottle and carbonate using a co2 bike pump. (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AGI1QW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) It accepts 12g cartridges with minor modifications (each cartridge costs $0.50 each and I already have a box of them I would like to use up) I would have to make a top using a bike valve for +/- $3. []

Step 3: Shake like hell and hope it worked. I was thinking a diffusion stone would speed up carbonation. (Cheap or expensive?)

The alternative is to bottle it one or two at a time from the franzia bladder. Though I would prefer the instantly carbonated bike pump method, using natural carbonation is the obvious solution, perhaps adding a carbonation tablet.
I want to find an alternative so I don't have to bottle and store all of the product (45 beer bottles or 16 champagne bottles!) and all of the kegging solutions are wayy out of my price range. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back