Need help with partial boil volume in fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bce22

Reaction score
Good day homebrewers!

I have a quick question about a beer I will brewing today. I got the recipe from brewing classic styles by Jamil and have a question about how much water to dilute my wort in my fermentor.

These recipes are based on 7 gallon full boil with 6 gallons at end of boil and 5.5 gallons going into fermentor.

Now since I'm doing a partial boil, after I chill and strain my beer going into the fermenter do I dilute to the 5.5 gallon level or 6 gallon level?

To acheive the Target Gravity beersmith calls for 6 total gallons. I'm so confused so any help will be appreciated.

dilute to 5.5 gallons. in theory you left half a gallon in your brew pot already. so topping off to 6 would overly thin out your brew. Beer smith is assuming you still have your brew in your brew pot. it doesn't know you siphoned to your fermenter and left half a gallon behind.

question. did you adjust the recipe to fit your partial boil technique?

Latest posts

Back