New Year's in Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
So I know its a little late but I'm gonna be in Boston for new years and Im looking for a beer related event that isnt super expensive. Really just looking for a decent party to go to that isnt expensive and packed with yuppies. Can anyone offer some assistance?

for real, boston is a **** show on new years. but if you want good beer and feel like getting to a place early, the sunset bar and grill on brighton ave in allston is as good as the east coast gets in tap and bottle selection. the food is good too.

I'll respectfully disagree with the Sunset recommendation. They have a ton of beer on tap and in bottles but the place is a bit gimmicky for my tastes. 9 times out of ten the beers are loaded with diacetyl because the lines haven't been cleaned properly and with that many taps, it's not a surpise. The waitstaff is ok but they're food waitresses, not beer waitresses so don't look for any kind of guidance or knowledge from them.

Their big selling point is "look how many beers we have!!!"... that doesn't mean they're either good beers or properly served.... or that the lines are clean.

Put it this way, when our HB club does pub clawls through Boston... we skip the Sunset.

If you're looking for a raging party at a really high quality beer bar... I'm not sure you're going to find it.

But if you want the best beer bar in Boston, do yourself a favor and go to the Public House over in Brookline (not a bad cab ride from downtown or you can hop on the green line). Deep Ellum isn't bad either. Either place, I would plan on getting to VERY early.

+1 on the Public House. I went there and opened the beer menu and told the waitress, "I'm gonna need some time here." Stunning selection. The same owners also have a new BBQ place a bit further up the street called the Roadhouse, which I have not been to but hear is good.

I would have but I'm not sure he would have had a good time whoopin' it up with my three year old and eighteen month old. Two... three sippy cups of whole milk and forget it, they're outta control. It gets ugly.

The best bar I've found in my area (Boston included) is the Horseshoe Pub in Hudson, MA. Their tap selection rivals that of Sunset, however they know their beers and keep the bar and the bar lines clean. It was far too cold on New Years to trek into Boston for First Night. I hope you had fun where ever you ended up.

The best bar I've found in my area (Boston included) is the Horseshoe Pub in Hudson, MA. Their tap selection rivals that of Sunset, however they know their beers and keep the bar and the bar lines clean. It was far too cold on New Years to trek into Boston for First Night. I hope you had fun where ever you ended up.

Ah, the old Horseshoe. I used to hang out there in high school. It has changed so much over the years. Apparently I'll have to make a trip back to see some of my friends in Hudson and head to the Shoe.

I spend this week in Northboro and was at the Horseshoe Tuesday afternoon with my BIL. Great place.

Latest posts

Back