False bottom or braid for a mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
I am looking to start all grain brewing, but I can't decide on whether or not to use a false bottom or a braid (bazooka or toilet supply line). I plan to use a 10 gallon round cooler, and to batch sparge initially (although may try fly sparging later).

I know that false bottoms cost more, and some people say that I am more likely to get a stuck sparge with those instead of a braid. Can someone set me straight?

I am not too worried about the cost difference between the two, but ease of installation is something I am keeping in mind.

Don't discount cpvc or copper manifolds. I use a 10-gal igloo with a cpvc manifold, a paint strainer, and fly sparge with a manifold on top.

I use a 3/4" water heater supply braid, it is stout enough to not crush under the heavier weight of 20+ lbs of grain in my 52qt Coleman Xtreme MLT. and it has slightly larger mesh than the 1/2" supplie making for a little bit quicker run-offs. It was a really inexpensive, and I get 80% BHE with a double batch sparge.

might sound a little uninspired but how are you using a braided supply line to filter your mash?

Back