Wort Chillers and All Things Copper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBN

Reaction score
Whoever might be thinking of building or buying a wort chiller - do it soon. My weekend gig at Menards let me in on the fact that anything copper has doubled in price over the past three weeks - I saved half a month ago by building my own wort chiller, now it would be cheaper to buy one - not for long, as soon as the chiller builders need to buy new raw materials up it goes.......don't know if this is temporary or what but it's a large increase.....

Skol!

SBN said:
Whoever might be thinking of building or buying a wort chiller - do it soon. My weekend gig at Menards let me in on the fact that anything copper has doubled in price over the past three weeks - I saved half a month ago by building my own wort chiller, now it would be cheaper to buy one - not for long, as soon as the chiller builders need to buy new raw materials up it goes.......don't know if this is temporary or what but it's a large increase.....

Skol!

Hi SBN. Another Illinois brewer here! Nice! Soon we'll outnumber the NC brewers. We can be the FIB's - F'n Illinois Brewers. (You Cheeseheads and NoIL dwellers know what a FIB is.)

My N. IL son goes to a Central Cheeseland college - poor guy endures FIB comments constantly.......of course, he's just now returning from 90 days in Italy and 60 days in London with a new appreciation for wine and (thanks goodness) beer.........

My brudder is a nort-lander, eh. ;)

Well, he grew up here in the heartland of the nation - Illinois. About 5 years ago, he moved north for a job (to Lodi, WI - just outside of Madison). Now, he's got that silly Wisconsin accent and refers to me and our dad as FIBS :mad: .

Sell-out.

But seriously . . . dat accent yoo guys got 'der, eh . . . dat's just silly. :p

sonvolt said:
My brudder is a nort-lander, eh. ;)

Well, he grew up here in the heartland of the nation - Illinois. About 5 years ago, he moved north for a job (to Lodi, WI - just outside of Madison). Now, he's got that silly Wisconsin accent and refers to me and our dad as FIBS :mad: .

Sell-out.

But seriously . . . dat accent yoo guys got 'der, eh . . . dat's just silly. :p

Well, yah, shore it is, if'n yer up der by Yooper-Land, aina?

Lodi - home of some legendary duck whose name I can't remember, as well as a cool free carferry across the river, basically pulls itself back and forth on a cable anchored at both ends - hope it's still there, the line of cars waiting to cross in the summer kept a small economy afloat with ice cream and snack stands!

Skol!

Just wanted to double this posting. At least as far as Home Depot goes, it is now cheaper to buy one pre-made rather then making it yourself. At least while the supplies last. Nearest brew store from me wants $59.95 for a standard looking chiller.

We got all the meth heads around here stealing copper from whatever they can strip it from and selling it for $. Guess aluminum cans aren't getting the job done for them anymore. Can't recall what they get per lb but I saw this problem on the news and the $ surprised me. $3-4 I think?

Heck, we got two big copper mines just south of Tucson, perhaps they should get a job in a copper mine instead of being lazy, making/doing meth in the middle of the desert in their single wides. (Think Raising Arizona).

Hey,

Today, I just picked up 2 sections of 25 foot 5/8" copper coil for $15.00 each (new).
It was 1/2 price...Anyone in Canada should check out Rona...not sure if this was
a one store deal, or if it a chain-wide sale.
I have so much now, I need to do some math to make sure immersing it into a kettle will not flood it....at least I'll have some left over for a manifold.

PS - thier website is not very good...You would need to check the store out.

Back