Basic ambient temperature monitoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasper9

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, My first post around here. Let me say these message boards are extremely helpful for beginners so thanks to all of you!

I saw someone here is already using 1wire devices to monitor temperature in the 'Fermoire'. I had some hardware laying around and thought it would be useful to keep an eye on the temperature of the area around my carboy as it's pretty darn cold out here in Colorado lately.

Parts used:
WRT54g Linksys Router, Flashed with DD-WRT
Linksys NSLU2, flashed with unraid
1-wire Thermometer from hobby-boards.com
USB converter to attach 1wire device to NSLU2
OWW software on the NSLU2

Also used some scripts that pulled the temperature from the 1wire probe and put it into some RRD (round robin databases) used to trend data, and built a webpage every 5 minutes with graphs and high/low information.

I tend to do little projects like this just to see if it's possible but found this morning it's actually useful! We turned the heater down overnight as it was warming up to almost 40 outside last night and warmed the upstairs a bit. When I woke up to check the status I didn't even have to leave the bed - grabbed my iphone, brought up the webpage, ahhh good consistent temperatures overnight.

I'll post some pictures if wanted but it's nothing special visually - just a few pieces of hardware tucked in a corner hidden as best as possible so the Boss doesn't get angry

:mug:

I need to know more about this. i already have a WRT54g Linksys Router, Flashed with DD-WRT. I would like this to monitor my garage fermenter and SMS me when or if the fermenter temp rises above 75.

/subscribe.

I need to know more about this. i already have a WRT54g Linksys Router, Flashed with DD-WRT. I would like this to monitor my garage fermenter and SMS me when or if the fermenter temp rises above 75.

/subscribe.

:rockin: Me too....

When i had the setup in my livingroom just for fun, i had it twittering when it got over or under a certain temperature. Something broke in the scripts though, not sure why it stopped. Wouldn't be hard to have it shoot an email to your home addr and to a phone address.

You can probably pick up a NSLU2 (also called a slug) on ebay, i'm not sure if they still make them new. They were originally created to put a usb drive on the network - it has two usb ports and one ethernet port. This site has everything you need to get it flashed and configured: NSLU2-Linux - Main / HomePage browse The OS i'm using is the newest beta of "unslung" - pardon my earlier typo, i meant unslung, not unraid (that's entirely different technology)

Configuring the nslu2 isn't the easiest thing in the world. I did it quite a long time ago and don't remember the exact steps to get the software OWW running but it should be documented on that website somewhere.

I'll see if i can modify my scripts to clean them up and make more sense and i'll post them online if anyone wants a webpage view but isn't as savvy.

fun stuff... Does humidity affect fermenting at all? they have a combination temp/humidity gauge too.

Fermentation should not be affected by humidity, but a chest freezer will operate less efficiently if there is a moisture build up.

this little gizmo i've hacked together is getting to be much more handy than expected!

Screenshot from the iphone

3145230277_a2cd9a27f4_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back