Need Computer Geek Assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
If anyone can assist me, here is what I'd like to do. I have a Toshiba Laptop running windows vista and a Dell Desktop with XP. I have a linksys router so that I can use the laptop to pick up wireless from my broadband connection. What I'd like to do, if possible is set up a network/remote desktop so that I can access items on my home computer and use the printer from the laptop.

I've done some internet searches, but couldn't find any clear direction. If this is possible all I'd need is someone to point me to some decent step by step instructions on how to make this happen. I'm decent with computers as long as I have something telling me how it's done.

Thanks.

You need to set up a home wireless network. You can do with the desktop. I had the same problem. A friend of mine set it up fpr me so I can't tell ho to do it exactly but that should piont you in the right direction!

If you want access to the raw files you will want to setup a connection of some sort. It can be as simple as an FTP server or since you want to print a VPN connection would be the easiest. If you have XP Pro on your desktop you can turn on terminal services (also known as Remote Desktop). If you go without the VPN you will need to direct port 3389 to your desktop from the router.

Some routers support VPN servers so you may want to find one that does. I'm not aware of any free VPN servers for XP but then I've never looked.

Edit: Just for the record, I don't recommend any unencrypted communications to Windows machines. The VPN is the best option for your needs. It will be as if you are sitting in your home on your wireless network (just slower). You will not need to open any firewall ports except the VPN itself.

Edit (2): Just realized I may have read your post wrong. If you mean you want to access the desktop with the laptop from the wireless network, you just need to turn on simple file sharing on the desktop. Then simply share your printer and whatever folders you want.

bradsul said:
If you mean you want to access the desktop with the laptop from the wireless network, you just need to turn on simple file sharing on the desktop. Then simply share your printer and whatever folders you want.
Yes! It seems that's the direction you'd like to go...check into Microsoft Windows Network services (built in to every XP install). I think that's all you need to enable in order to share files, folders, and printers.

Yuri_Rage said:
Yes! It seems that's the direction you'd like to go...check into Microsoft Windows Network services (built in to every XP install). I think that's all you need to enable in order to share files, folders, and printers.

Double-ditto on this one. I've not tried it but I have a feeling I know what they're doing and should be rather wizard friendly. But, if either of your PC's are already in a domain (doesn't sound like it); i.e. one is a work PC this will screw up your work PC by unregistering it from the work domain. But there is a workaround to this one too. If anyone is ever somewhat interested I can share that too ;)

Thanks for all your assistance to date. I don't think I was entirely clear, but it looks like you are all pointing me in the right direction. I am not concerned with using the laptop outside of the house to connect to the home computer, but just as part of an in home network so that I can print or access files stored on the main PC. Setting up the network through the desktop should be easy, I just want to make sure I go about it the right way so that I don't mess up both computers.

I don't see the home network wizard on my PC because it's in a business domain but I believe it is in your control panel and is called Network Setup Wizard. Go to Help and Support from the Start button and search for Home Network. You'll want to do this from the desktop 1st. Here's an excerpt from the help. This is where ya want to head...

Network Setup Wizard overview

After you set up and physically connect your computers together, the Network Setup Wizard guides you through setting up your home or small office network. You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to run the Network Setup Wizard.
Start by running the Network Setup Wizard on your Windows XP computer. With this wizard you can:
  • Configure all the computers on your network to use one Internet connection.
  • Name your computer and provide a computer description.
  • Enable file and printer sharing.
After you have configured the first computer, run the Network Setup Wizard on the other computers that are running Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, or Windows XP.

Yep all you need to do is enable simple file sharing on the desktop (open Windows Explorer, browse to the folder you want to share, right-click it, select Sharing, and follow the prompts to enable it). You'll also have to make sure Windows Firewall isn't getting in the way on either computer.

In XP go to the properties of the network connection (usually called Local Area Connection), Advanced tab and click Windows Firewall, make sure the Windows File Sharing exception is checked.

In Vista click the Windows logo, right-click on Network and select Properties, which should bring you to the Network and Sharing Center. Click the little button next to Network Discovery as well as File Sharing, and follow the prompts to enable both. This allows you to see the folders on your XP computer over the network.

Once you have all that done, you should be able to click on the Windows logo (on the Vista machine) and just click on Network. That will bring up a window where you're browsing your local network. You should see the computer name of the desktop. Double-click on it and you should see any folders you've shared out. You can also share printers the same way as you share folders.

Hope that helps.

Thanks alot guys. I'll probably give this a go tomorrow. I appreciate the help and I'll let you know how it works out.

Latest posts

Back