Flaked corn question...again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewn4life

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered but flaked corn(maize) from your HBS is just corn....flaked right?? I called up the distribution place I got my 60lbs Black Strap(brewing's not my only hobby :) and they said they carry 50lb sacks of flaked corn for $14. To me that sounds like a good deal. I just bought a 40lb pound bag of cracked corn from Walmart for $10. The thing is is that the flaked corn being flaked can go straight into the tun with the barley to convert starches right were as the cracked corn has to be gelatinized (boiled or at least 185 deg) for a hour or so pryer to mashing. I brew a cream ale and was thinking that hell I could use that flaked corn for that to. They said that the flaked corn is exactly that. I would like to get my hands on some whole kernel which he can get so I can malt my own corn.
Sonds good or am I trippen.

Well Hermit I suppose, I'm just wondering if I have to do any thing special to it like gelatinize before I can mash it. That would do up a big batch of a MBC mock up or Cream ale.

Well Hermit I suppose, I'm just wondering if I have to do any thing special to it like gelatinize before I can mash it. That would do up a big batch of a MBC mock up or Cream ale.
Does it look the same? I seem to remember that the flaked stuff goes through heated rollers and that is why it doesn't need the cereal mash. If you get a small sample you might be able to do a small mash with some 2 row and check for conversion.

No I don't think I can get a sample, but in any case even if I have to soke for an hour at 185 deg or so to get it to starch then I can use it for my other hobby. I was just thinking that was a good price. A lot cheaper then flaked maize at the HBS.
Actually I got 7lbs of cracked corn that I heated up to 190 deg or so to day and let it sit for a couple hours till it completely soaked up the water and turned to goop. Dropped it down to 128 deg(added 1 gallon of very cold water) and pitched a pouch of Amylase and it started to get thinned out good. Ill let it sit for a half an hour and then bring it up to 152 ish and pitch my 1lb of 6row and let it sit for another hour. A lot of work I suppose, but in the end it'll be worth it. It would be nice to not have to do the beginning step for this purpose.

Latest posts

Back