Do you need to add yeast when bottling a pLambic/Flanders?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I saw somewhere that if the 'bugs' consume the priming sugar, they do not produce CO2, so after 12+ months you should add some fresh yeast when carbing to ensure you get CO2. Is this true?

I've only bottled 1 so far and got light carbonation. Could have been better, but I am happy with it. My assumption was the lower carbonation was probably due to the age of the beer and loss of dissolved CO2 while it was sitting.

In traditional lambics, 1 year old lambic is considered young and what is blended with 2 and 3 year old lambic. The young lambic provides enough sugar to carb the bottle. Think it just takes a lot of time. If there is brett in there it will carb it up.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

You could bottle without adding yeast and wait for brett to carb the bottles. I don't think your wait will be much longer than if you added sacc at bottling. I would suspect you might get somewhat uneven carbonation as the bacteria tries to compete to consume the sugar without producing CO2. I would probably add a little sacc at bottling just as a precaution.

Back