ready to bottle...dme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srm277

Reaction score
going to bottle my 3rd batch, this time instead of priming sugar its adding 1 1/4 cup extra light dme. do i just pour this in or heat it up. and how will this create carbination? im looking to do this tonight once i clean all my bottles. thanks

Boil it in a couple cups of water for about 10 minutes. Put it in the bottling bucket the same as you would priming sugar, which is what is, just a different form.
It creates carbonation the same way, by adding more fermentable sugars for the yeast to feast on.

y would i wanna add this over the priming sugar?
What? I'm confused.
Boil the DME in 2 cups of water for 10 minutes or so. That becomes your priming sugar. Just pour that solution into your bottling bucket, rack the beer into the bucket, maybe give it a stir or two (not necessary) and bottle away.

my question was whats better using the extract over the priming sugar? just curious whats the diff between using one over the other.

my question was whats better using the extract over the priming sugar? just curious whats the diff between using one over the other.

You will use more DME to achieve the same level of carbonation, and the bottles will take considerably longer to carbonate.

Jason

You will use more DME to achieve the same level of carbonation, and the bottles will take considerably longer to carbonate.

Jason
Yup. My basic reasoning that corn sugar is far less expensive. Having the extra DME on hand is always good. It seems like a waste to use it for priming.

I can't say I've found that it takes longer to carb with DME, but Jason has far more experience than me so listen to him.

It's mostly personal preference. I prefer corn sugar over DME. I just seemed to get a more even carbonation.

I don't bottle much, but when I do, I have always used DME. That is changing next time I need to bottle. I always end up with at least a couple that are over/under carbed. I put the DME mix in the bottling bucket first and then allow the siphoning beer to stir itself, like many others, and last time I even manually stirred after that and I still get unever carb.

Back