Cleaning Mash Tun in a two tier system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidjazz54

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of completing a two tier system similar to the one at Brewery Construction and I am wondering what everyone has found is the best way to clean the mash tun after use?

I was thinking of simply using a wet/dry vac to suck out the grain and residual wort then running cleaner (PBW probably) through it before the next batch. Any other suggestions?

I noticed that once I cut the tops off there was obvious discoloration inside as well. I let them all soak in OxyClean for ~36 hours and then scrubbed them and this didn't come off. Any suggestions for that as well? There is no depth to the discoloration just surface coloring. I'll try to post a pic later.

I do like the tipy dumper idea as well. A few mods to the frame and it should be that hard at all.

As much as I was planning to tippy dump my MLT, I still just yank it off the stand and hose it out on my lawn. I use a 3M pad and some hot water to dislodge any stubborn residue and hose it out one more time.

The reason I stopped the plan for tippy dump is that I can imagine my brewstand getting rusty much quicker if I keep spraying it down with a hose.

I just pull it off too. I actually have my MLT on the bottom, and the BK on top of my 2 tier... It makes for an easy gravity sparge (I batch sparge...but don't have to pump).

A wet/dry vac will get ruined from grain! It'll be sooooo nasty, you'll want to throw it away. I say just pull the tun, dump the grain into a garbage bag, and spray it out with high pressure, making sure to get the FB and all the nooks and crannies. Grain attracts all sorts of critters, and will simply rot if you don't get it all out of there.

I use the wet vac. Works great.

Rinse it out after use (hose too) and it should never get funky. But forget to clean it out once and.........

I was about to say...., you already have the frickin MLT to hose out, why fill another vessel with crud too? However, typically use a chinese takeout soup container to scoop out 90% of the spent grain into a bucket, heave the MLT out onto the lawn to clean, then carry the bucket out to the compost pile.

Now that I think of it, I had to clean the bucket anyway. I might as well carry the shopvac bin out to the pile instead and I can skip the scooping business. I'd imagine the shopvac hose also needs to be hosed out or stinky mess.

I usually don't clean out my HLT after a brew session because it's only water. BUT, last brew I made the mistake of stirring the water with my funked up mash paddle so it left like 2 tablespoons of grain in the tun empty. That little left for 3 weeks, even in a cold garage, is enough to make a billy goat puke.

I just dump the MLT contents right into the compost. It takes some work to keep the false bottom from falling out also, but just pour slowly, and don't turn it completely upside down. Of course, that is with a 5 gallon batch. I imagine 10 gallon batches might be a bit heavier.

I was about to say...., you already have the frickin MLT to hose out, why fill another vessel with crud too? However, typically use a chinese takeout soup container to scoop out 90% of the spent grain into a bucket, heave the MLT out onto the lawn to clean, then carry the bucket out to the compost pile.

Now that I think of it, I had to clean the bucket anyway. I might as well carry the shopvac bin out to the pile instead and I can skip the scooping business. I'd imagine the shopvac hose also needs to be hosed out or stinky mess.

I usually don't clean out my HLT after a brew session because it's only water. BUT, last brew I made the mistake of stirring the water with my funked up mash paddle so it left like 2 tablespoons of grain in the tun empty. That little left for 3 weeks, even in a cold garage, is enough to make a billy goat puke.

I like it because I never have to take the vessel down. Anything that is left behind after the vac, gets rinsed out following CIP. I do lift the FB to check for any left behinds or build up and it's always clean.

I almost hate to admit to this but, I found that Cascade complete does as good a job, if not better, than does PBW (for a fraction of the cost too) for cleaning out my RIMS system. I also read in their FAQS that it was formulated to include dishwashers with Stainless Steel interiors.

I just dump the MLT contents right into the compost. It takes some work to keep the false bottom from falling out also, but just pour slowly, and don't turn it completely upside down. Of course, that is with a 5 gallon batch. I imagine 10 gallon batches might be a bit heavier.

Um, I nearly throw my back out just picking up the MLT nearly empty. Are you Hulk?

I almost hate to admit to this but, I found that Cascade complete does as good a job, if not better, than does PBW (for a fraction of the cost too) for cleaning out my RIMS system. I also read in their FAQS that it was formulated to include dishwashers with Stainless Steel interiors.

Do you think that will work to get the discoloration out of the tun? I thought the OXYclean would do it but I may have dilluted it too much.

Thanks for all the different suggestions on cleaning it out. I think I may try the vac and clean method and if that becomes too much of a pain then I'll probably go to the scoop and yank method.

Do you think that will work to get the discoloration out of the tun? I thought the OXYclean would do it but I may have dilluted it too much.

Thanks for all the different suggestions on cleaning it out. I think I may try the vac and clean method and if that becomes too much of a pain then I'll probably go to the scoop and yank method.

If the discoloration is the result of heat, I doubt anything will get it off short or an abrasive polish. I wouldn't worry too much as long as the interior surface has the passivated layer in tact.

Besides, in reality after a couple brews on the system you'll be lucky if there is anything left that isn't discolored.

:)I'v been using a wet/dry vac for as long as i have been all grain brewing and it works great! I have never had any bad smells in the vac. And what if there are some you arnt going to drink from it any way.After you dump it just rinse it out with the hose no hard work there. And why would grain hurt it ? It is made for much worse then that. If you have an electric set up like mine this is the best way to go. My 6 HP vac is 8 years old and still works great. And when that breaks I have another one waiting to take over the duties. My 2cents

I simply dump mine in the compost bin. Then use the discharge water from the chiller to rinse it out. As long as it's "clean" you are fine... you don't want pieces of grain rotting in there... no need for any oxyclean or soaking IMO. Just a wipe down with a papertowel. Some of the nonscented clorox wipes helps if it's really dirty.

Back