Warning Label fun....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one! :D

porchcouch_label.jpg
Somebody ought to liberate those poor things. :D

Reading on lagering and listening to John Palmer on IBUs made me think of this one:

That's one of the things that gets me with some of the people (especially new brewers) on here who get pi$$y that we say something that contradicts Palmer or Papazian...I cite that podcast as an example of how the knowlegebase shifts so fast in this hobby because of places like this or podcasts...A book is a snapshot of the author's body of knowlege and the "common wisdom" at the time the author wrote the book, which may mean 3 years before it was even published. Papazian's book is 30+ years old. The basic knowlege is good, but brewing science and experience has progressed to where some things an author believes or says at that time may no-longer be valid...even to the author.

I mean I look at my own writings, including my E-book on spirituality, it was written back in 1999-2000, and a lot of my beliefs and ideas have shifted about things in the 8 years...

In that Podcast, Palmer basically contradicts in some was what he wrote in HTB...and I bet it will be reflected in his subsequent writings, but if he doesn't go back and revise HTB, and people don't read or listen to anything by him after, than they won't realize that the knowlegebase has already shifted...

It's like the long primary thing..yeah autolysis WAS the big fear at the time of Papazian, someone said this week it may have been a reflection of the oldier and crappier yeasts in the pre-prohibition days.....But things, like science, and even the yeasts themselves have changed, and we by our OWN experience have witnessed how much better our beer is when we've left it alone in primary for 2-3 weeks.

Oh well...Back to our regularly scheduled signage.

:mug:

The knowledgebase is always going to drift, which is what makes the Internet such a great resource. Noobs to any new thing, be it brewing, computers, ot car purchases, want a single source of information that they can completely defer to. Once that illusion is shattered, the whole thing becomes all too confusing. There's a LOT of info out there, far too much for any noob to forge their own path and make their own decisions from the get-go, that's why the noob will always want to defer to the masters and resist opposing views.

I'm hoping my learning curve is only about 6 months before I'm at least familiar with enough of the concepts to start really helping others out.

Anyways, /threadjack

:mug:

Back