American Pale Ale Cascades / Orange Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am brewing my version of this in a week or so.... ALL FWHed too, no other additions.

no late additions or dry hop? Can that even be considered a Pale Ale ;)

It will have a dry hop... but I think FWH is absolutely in line with a Pale Ale! Bittering and flavor all wrapped up in one addition. It will not be a chilled wort either.

Daaaaang. I run my BTP recipes at 70% efficiency which is 52. You got 90% @68.

Must be that fancy electrical pump thingy you got goin'.

I run my recipe at 83% for 5.5 gallons after boil. This is my IAPA... I loooove this beer. Your recipe was my inspiration

I'm feeling inspired myself. Two of our major crops are cillantro and cascade hops. I have so many cascades, I throw them out every year. Also two of my favorite and most brewed beers are a belgian wit/white and a Cascade Pale Ale, so this has to be the best of both worlds.

Brewing this tomorrow! I ended up cheating and getting 2oz of sweet orange peel from my LHBS... The recipe calls for orange zest, any issues sub'ing the zest with the SOP? Any adjustments on the amount of SOP to zest?

Nope, I use the sweet orange peel from Brewcraft interchangeably. The original recipe was with the sweet peel. Hope you like it!

Just picked up the ingredients for this from my LHBS and will brew 10 gal. AG on 10/24. Hopefully I've timed it right and it'll be ready by Thanksgiving. That's the plan anyway. I'm also going to use the sweet orange peel. Why? I'm a tad lazy as well.

** Go Ducks! **

Planning to brew this one tomorrow, one quick question for ya ... I see several references to dry hopping this brew, but on post #1 where you list the grain bill and schedule there is no reference to dry hopping .... just want to make sure I've got all bases covered, thanks !

Just picked up the ingredients for this from my LHBS and will brew 10 gal. AG on 10/24. Hopefully I've timed it right and it'll be ready by Thanksgiving. That's the plan anyway. I'm also going to use the sweet orange peel. Why? I'm a tad lazy as well.
** Go Ducks! **

Awesome dude! Go Ducks!

Planning to brew this one tomorrow, one quick question for ya ... I see several references to dry hopping this brew, but on post #1 where you list the grain bill and schedule there is no reference to dry hopping .... just want to make sure I've got all bases covered, thanks !

It's underneath the yeast in the recipe, 2 oz for 1-2 weeks. I've actually not dryhopped my last few batches of this and they've turned out great.

It's underneath the yeast in the recipe, 2 oz for 1-2 weeks. I've actually not dryhopped my last few batches of this and they've turned out great.

Cool man, I'm gonna dry hop it at the rate you give here, but I still don't see it on the first post of the recipe, and I haven't even started drinking tonight :) I'm sure its there I just can't seem to find it!!

Anyways, thanks for the recipe .... for now I can only imagine what its gonna taste like ... I went with 40L instead of 10L but otherwise I'm gonna stick to the recipe this first time .... thanks again.

DOH! Ok now I see it ... I was looking only at the PM recipe since thats what I'm using ... now I see the dry hop addition :)

Brewing this right now, bringing the wort to a boil, smells great with the FWH'd cascade !!

Ok, so I just pitched the yeast and I've got a quesiton for next time I brew this recipe. So far I've mostly done extract brewing and this is my third PM - I have never used additions such as corriander or orange peel and have always used pellet hops. I usually don't filter out the hops from the boil, and they usually settle to the bottom in the primary pretty quickly. Today I followed my normal procedure, and found that the funnel actually got clogged at the end with orange peel and corrander.

So my question is ... should I have filtered this stuff out anyways? A large part of the orang peel and corriander did not make it into primary, in fact most of it did not. Is this ok? Sorry for the newb question but I'm still learning the ropes ... thanks!

BTW, looks like I came in right around 1.053 .... so I'm pretty hopeful that this will be the best beer I've brewed so far .... honestly most have not been great, all drinkable, but none that were really smooth and full of good flavor, hopefully my upgrade to PM and the fact that I aquired a freezer and a Ranco controller to make a temp controlled fermentation chamber will make some improvement in the quality, along with the AG brutus clone that I'm building and should hopefully be done with by early next year.

No need to worry on the orange peel and whatnot in the fermenter. It will just settle to the bottom and not impact the process.

Brewed 5 gallons of this today...came in at 1.052, not bad. Used fresh orange zest, but only had 1oz of useable zest. Oh well! Smells insanely good, can't wait to taste this one!! Also thought I had Safale-04 but it was 05, So whatever. I wonder what the difference would be.

.... honestly most have not been great, all drinkable, but none that were really smooth and full of good flavor, hopefully my upgrade to PM and the fact that I aquired a freezer and a Ranco controller to make a temp controlled fermentation chamber will make some improvement in the quality, along with the AG brutus clone that I'm building and should hopefully be done with by early next year.

I think you'll see a lot of improvement with your move to PM from full extract. I certainly did, back in the day. Hope this one turns out great!

Brewed 5 gallons of this today...came in at 1.052, not bad. Used fresh orange zest, but only had 1oz of useable zest. Oh well! Smells insanely good, can't wait to taste this one!! Also thought I had Safale-04 but it was 05, So whatever. I wonder what the difference would be.

I have used 05 on my second attempt and it just came out a bit dry but still a great beer!

Just put in my order from my local supplier. Unfortunately, he has 50L grain, so hopefully that won't mess up the recipe. He said it would come out darker.

Brewing this right now. Mash went well, although a little low in the temp department (Mashed at 153ish), but all in all, everything is going well. Going to close my eyes when I add the corriander/Fresh orange peels as it goes against my Water/Yeast/Grain/Hops Only Credo. But ****, I am anxious as hell to try this. Thanks for the recipe Black Lab. :mug:

I was inspired to brew this today after that awsome game against Az. All went great and smells wonderfull. Thanks for the recipe and go Ducks at the civil war!!

Hey guys,

I need a little advice.. I cracked all my grains tonight and dumped them together in a big garbage bag in preparation for brew day tomorrow.. Just realized that I actually used a pound of Belgian Caramel Vienna Malt (Color 19-27) instead of what I assume to be plain vienna malt of about 3.5 SRM??

I am afraid that now with more caramel malt the whole orang/hop balance thing will be hidden behind the malt.. Any ideas o n what I can do to save this brew to keep it as close to the original as possible? Pretty sure I am screwed at this point, but I would really like to preserve those flavors that everyone is talking about... What can I expect from this brew? How can I save it?

FWIW, I have modified this recipe to an OG fo 1.068 and use about a pound of 40L, hopping has stayed the same. It is an EXCELLENT beer. I think it will be different, but it will be excellent. I have brewed BOTH, Black Labs and mine, you will not be disappointed either way.

Thanks Pol.. that makes me feel a little better.. I am considering adding 3oz of orange peel instead of 2 since the Caravienne will make this brew maltier than the original recipe and I really want the orange to come through.. Do you think 3 would be too much?

Thanks Pol.. that makes me feel a little better.. I am considering adding 3oz of orange peel instead of 2 since the Caravienne will make this brew maltier than the original recipe and I really want the orange to come through.. Do you think 3 would be too much?

Hey Groos! I think you should be fine with 3 oz, if that's what you ended up doing. The orange is pretty low in the profile for this beer, so I wouldn't worry about it too much if you want to add 1 oz. more. Either way, don't matter, you just invented your own brew! I'm sure it will be great. How are things in Colfax? My parents are from Waitsburg.

I'm almost ready to keg. I plan to skip the secondary fermentation as I usually dry hop in my keg. My OSG was a little low, but I took it in the upper 80's F. Also, as mentioned before, my crystal grain wasn't the light, but medium, so I'm thinking this will be darker in color. I'm not sure of the effect on the taste. The other thing I did a little different is I usually speiss my beer if I remember to. I like the head better (or is it my imagination?) and it saves me on CO2.

It is a sad thing that I only have sanitizer in my kegs right now. I've been enjoying some of the bottle CO2 Guiness lately, but at over $9 a six pack, I think I can save a lot by brewing up some of that, once I find a good recipe.

Hey Groos! I think you should be fine with 3 oz, if that's what you ended up doing. The orange is pretty low in the profile for this beer, so I wouldn't worry about it too much if you want to add 1 oz. more. Either way, don't matter, you just invented your own brew! I'm sure it will be great. How are things in Colfax? My parents are from Waitsburg.

Hey Blacklab-

First off, thanks for the recipe.. Gave me a chance to try some things I have never done before (FWHing, using spices).. Cant wait to try it out.. I chickened out and used only 2 3/4 oz of the orange peel.. The extra orange, coupled with the cara-vienne malt I accidentally used (instead of plain old Vienna), and Wyeast 1056 (none of my three LHBS had Saf-Ale) should make this an interesting brew! Cant wait to try it! Has anyone else used Wyeast 1056 (AMerican Ale) for this recipe?

I brewed this on Saturday and the fermentation was insane! Still had foam and crap blowing off as of this morning...

As for Colfax, I imagine they are about as exciting as things in the big old city of Waitsburg! I love Waitsburg/Dayton area.. Used to go down there quite regularly for business up until a few years ago.. Saw the biggest elk I have ever seen right outside Waitsburg two years ago.... I hear there is micr-brewery there now (read it in BYO this summer).. Have you been there?

BTW, my wife is from Battleground, WA so we are in the Portland-ish area a few times a year.. Couldnt ask for a better beer city!

Hey Blacklab-

First off, thanks for the recipe.. Gave me a chance to try some things I have never done before (FWHing, using spices).. Cant wait to try it out.. I chickened out and used only 2 3/4 oz of the orange peel.. The extra orange, coupled with the cara-vienne malt I accidentally used (instead of plain old Vienna), and Wyeast 1056 (none of my three LHBS had Saf-Ale) should make this an interesting brew! Cant wait to try it! Has anyone else used Wyeast 1056 (AMerican Ale) for this recipe?

I brewed this on Saturday and the fermentation was insane! Still had foam and crap blowing off as of this morning...

As for Colfax, I imagine they are about as exciting as things in the big old city of Waitsburg! I love Waitsburg/Dayton area.. Used to go down there quite regularly for business up until a few years ago.. Saw the biggest elk I have ever seen right outside Waitsburg two years ago.... I hear there is micr-brewery there now (read it in BYO this summer).. Have you been there?

BTW, my wife is from Battleground, WA so we are in the Portland-ish area a few times a year.. Couldnt ask for a better beer city!

Glad the brew day went well. Yes, there's a brewery in Waitsburg now, it's called Laht Neppur. I saw that article in BYO as well, pretty cool. Let us know how it tastes when you keg/bottle...

Question for you more experienced brewers. I brewed this on Saturday and kept it in the house at 68° until I saw activity in the air lock. I then moved it to my fermenter with it set to 63°. Is this to cold and did I put my yeast to sleep? I know that air lock activity is not an indication of fermentation but I didn't look on the Safale US-04 package to check the temp range. I Googled it but couldn’t seem to find the Yeast specs online.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Well, I didn't go directly to keg. After 8 days, there are still a few bubbles on the top, so I went to a secondary tonight. I do my primary in a plastic bucket, so I couldn't see how it was doing until tonight. It will definitely be darker than displayed due to the darker crystal grain I put in, but it looked very clear as I racked it, so that was good.

Question for you more experienced brewers. I brewed this on Saturday and kept it in the house at 68° until I saw activity in the air lock. I then moved it to my fermenter with it set to 63°. Is this to cold and did I put my yeast to sleep? I know that air lock activity is not an indication of fermentation but I didn't look on the Safale US-04 package to check the temp range. I Googled it but couldn’t seem to find the Yeast specs online.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Are you saying there is no fermentation? Do you use a glass carboy for fermenting? There should have been the classic fermentation, high krausening, etc. Either it didn't happen or maybe it did and you missed it? The recipe as I recall said to ferment it in the 60's. I assume that 63 would be well within range.

According to the Beer Advocate:

"Top-Fermenting Yeast
Ale yeast strains are best used at temperatures ranging from 10 to 25°C, though some strains will not actively ferment below 12°C (33). Ale yeasts are generally regarded as top-fermenting yeasts since they rise to the surface during fermentation, creating a very thick, rich yeast head. That is why the term "top-fermenting" is associated with ale yeasts. Fermentation by ale yeasts at these relatively warmer temperatures produces a beer high in esters, which many regard as a distinctive character of ale beers."

10C = 50F
12C = 54F
25C = 77F

Back