New to the forum with a question about carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillybob

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for almost a year now, but I still really can't get the carbonating down. At first I was using 'Mr Beer", and using granulated sugar and it was too carbonated. Now I am using extract and grain in a 5 gallon bucket and I'm not getting enough carbonation. Is there a limit on how long you can let a beer condition before the yeast settles? Or do I just need to let them sit longer? Or do I need to use more than 3/4 cups of sugar?

You ratio of 3/4 is fine and that is what most use when they bottle. You do have to make sure the bottles are in the low 70's so the yeast will be active and 3 weeks before they start to taste good.

Blender said:
You ratio of 3/4 is fine and that is what most use when they bottle. You do have to make sure the bottles are in the low 70's so the yeast will be active and 3 weeks before they start to taste good.

+1

This time of year, there are lots of posts about bottles that won't carbonate. It's almost always a temp issue. Also, the beer can sit in secondary, clearing for months and still have plenty of yeast to carbonate.

I usually have my thermostat set between 67 and 69 and it is in my master bedroom shower. So do you think that maybe its just a little too cold for anything to happen? I also have made some other beers that seem to be doing ok, not necessarily as carbonated as I would like it to be.

It may be cooler on the floor. You could try getting the yeast into suspension by rolling them on their side. Then check in a week.

Take a bottle or two and set them on the bathroom floor right next to the heater duct. If they carb up fully after 4 or 5 days, then you know temp is the problem.

shafferpilot said:
Take a bottle or two and set them on the bathroom floor right next to the heater duct. If they carb up fully after 4 or 5 days, then you know temp is the problem.

+1 HAHA! thank you for that tidbit. My first batch hasn't carbed up that much so I'll give this a try.

Sometimes that trick gets the bottles a little too warm which could lead to strange flavors. However, it will pinpoint the problem. If it carbs up, then either temp or time is the issue. If it still doesn't carb up, then there's a different problem like bottles that aren't sealed up or not enough priming sugar or not enough yeast.

shafferpilot said:

That is a handy tip right there. Thanks.

phillybob said:
Is there a limit on how long you can let a beer condition before the yeast settles? Or do I just need to let them sit longer? Or do I need to use more than 3/4 cups of sugar?

I bottled an IPA that sat in the secondary for 14 months and it carbonated nicely. :ban:

Back