this doesnt seem right..HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLFoley

Reaction score
ive got some fuzzy objects floating in my carboy...is this bad??
this is my 4th batch of beer that i have brewed since i started home brewing about 2 months ago, its a bavarian hefeweizen thats been fermenting for about 9 days at around 67 degrees. everything was looking great until the fermentation slowed and the krausen began to subside to the bottom. after the layer of krausen was gone i noticed these small fuzzy chunks of what im guessing is yeast, I also noticed what looks like small red veins in these chunks. im not sure if this is normal, or if i have an infection. i havent had any problems with my previous batches and ive kept all of my equipment clean during and in between batches.If anyone has had any similar experiences or advice, it would be greatly appreciated!!

IMAG0054.jpg

Not sure since i'm relatively new to brewing, 10 batches under my belt, looks like yeast rafts.

yeah i smelled it last night and it smelled normal, i was just worried because ive heard that "fuzzy" or "veiny" looking objects can mean there is an infection of some sort, but hearing someone say it looks normal is a big relief! :)

Different yeast flocculates differently. Certain strains have a high flocculation rate and some have a comparatively lower one. Doubtful you have infection since the yeast has taken effect and produced a krausen. Check your gravity daily to make sure that things are progressing smoothly, it will also let you know when it's time to transfer which puts you one step closer to drinking :).

Back