Anyone have a Fireman's 4 Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumberjackJohn

Reaction score
My brother is a huge fan of this beer, and I enjoy it as well. He said if I brew a clone, and it tastes good, he will pay for the ingredients. I know AHS has a clone kit, but I'd really rather just go to my local HBS rather than make a trip to Austin or pay shipping. I don't mind shopping at AHS when I'm in town, but I'd rather support the store in my city. Anyway, can anyone help?

I don't have the recipe, but I can tell you that it is a SMaSH recipe. Also, Real Ale uses "English Yeast" for their house yeast. I was on a tour and I got that information. I didn't specifically ask for any recipes, sorry.

I would start with US 2-row, a clean hop for bittering only, and WLP007.

Just my guess.

Eric

Thanks man, that at least gives me a start! The beer kind of tastes like oranges to me, where does that flavor come from?

Thanks man, that at least gives me a start! The beer kind of tastes like oranges to me, where does that flavor come from?

I have never got that flavor from it, but I don't really have that great of a palate. I would ask my wife to describe it but she's pregnant (I think she is a super-taster).

It could either be an ester-like flavor from the yeast or hop-derived. I haven't gotten much of a hop aroma, so my guess is yeast. I would use 007 because it needs to dry out.

Eric

Congratulations on the new baby! Yeah it probably is just the yeast allowing the hop character to come through. I'm in the process of brewing a Red Hook clone, sampled it today and it tasted like grapefruits to me! Maybe my perception of hop flavor is just odd.

Ok from using the website and your information that is a SMaSH brew, heres what I've come up with.

From realalebrewing.com - ABV: 5.10% IBU: 21.00 OG (plato): 12.00

Recipe by Lumberjackjohn

8.75 US Pale 2 row
1.5oz Crystal 4% @ 60min
WLP002

Beersmith gives me an OG of 1.048 at 75% efficiency which is on target, and an IBU of 23, which is close enough for government work. No one can taste those 2 extra BU's lol.

This just seems too simple though. Someone tell me what I'm overlooking?

What is the attenuation of WLP002? Make sure it can get down to 1012 with your OG. If it can not, I would use WLP007.

Eric

Congratulations on the new baby! Yeah it probably is just the yeast allowing the hop character to come through. I'm in the process of brewing a Red Hook clone, sampled it today and it tasted like grapefruits to me! Maybe my perception of hop flavor is just odd.

Thanks, I'm pretty excited :ban:

What hops did you use for the Red Hook?

Eric

I meant WLP007, don't know why I typed 002. I used Tettnang for bittering and aroma, and Willamette for flavor. Followed the AHS recipe.

Ok from using the website and your information that is a SMaSH brew, heres what I've come up with.

From realalebrewing.com - ABV: 5.10% IBU: 21.00 OG (plato): 12.00

Recipe by Lumberjackjohn

8.75 US Pale 2 row
1.5oz Crystal 4% @ 60min
WLP002

Beersmith gives me an OG of 1.048 at 75% efficiency which is on target, and an IBU of 23, which is close enough for government work. No one can taste those 2 extra BU's lol.

This just seems too simple though. Someone tell me what I'm overlooking?

I've been wanting to try cloning this as well, but I figured there would be some hops thrown in later in the boil to get the "zesty citrus notes from Crystal hops" that their website talks about. I don't guess it's a particularly hoppy beer, but I'm curious what led you to the single hop addition.

I'm really shooting in the dark here carrotmalt. I'll be going to Austin at the end of the month on my way to a Sacred Harp singing, so I'll probably buy the AHS clone recipe while I'm there.

I've been wanting to try cloning this as well, but I figured there would be some hops thrown in later in the boil to get the "zesty citrus notes from Crystal hops" that their website talks about. I don't guess it's a particularly hoppy beer, but I'm curious what led you to the single hop addition.

I would definitely approve of a small addition at 10 or 5 minutes.

Eric

I'm really shooting in the dark here carrotmalt. I'll be going to Austin at the end of the month on my way to a Sacred Harp singing, so I'll probably buy the AHS clone recipe while I'm there.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a review of how yours turns out.:mug:

Eric, what would you venture a guess at your late addition hops? I would think maybe 1/4oz the last 10 minutes? Any thoughts?

I bet this recipe is dead on.

Eric

bringing this back from the dead. looking at Real Ales website, it says the IBUs are only at 22. that recipe takes it into the 30s. i think i would maybe take that first addition at 60 down to a First wort addition, and only do .5 at 15 and .5 at 5mins. that puts you right at 22 ibus.

only comenting because im wanting to brew this and get others opinions!

Back