Guns N' Roses!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
So excited to be going to Ford Field tonight in Detroit for the Gn'R show. Anyone else going? I'm 39 and have been a devout fan of this band since middle school. I saw Gn'R back in 1993 at The Palace of Auburn Hills. I've seen Slash with both Snakepits, Velvet Revolver and with Myles Kennedy. I've seen Axl's various formations of the band several times as well. But, I've waited about 20 years to see these two rock n' roll legends share a stage. Before the show, we'll have a few of my homebrews - an Axl Amber Ale and a Slash Smash Pale Ale!

He has been pretty punctual this calendar year - minus the first Vegas show. He He was on time with AC/DC. Gn'R's manager said expect them to take the stage around 9:45 and play for 2.5-3 hours. We will see...:)

F*ck yes, bro:rockin::rockin: Last time I saw them was with Metallica and Faith No More at Rich stadium in Buffalo.:rockin::rockin:

You can have GNR, but I love Alice in Chains, even without Layne Staley.

I really like Myles Kennedy, and he did some songs with Warren Haynes that I thought was awesome (like some Temple of the Dog songs).

The show was amazing. From 9:41-12:15. Axl sounded like 1991 all over again. Slash was killer as always. They actually came on EARLY! Alice in Chains were great too. Soooo awesome to see Axl and Slash together again.

I highly recommend checking out The biography of the drummer. Pretty cool read. Dude was messed up for a long time. Feels like any small bump in teh road for him could set him on the path of self destruction all over again.

Yeah, my mind kept thinking Duff, but that's the other guy.

Duff is a real cool guy as well. Came up in the Seattle punk scene. I heard a great podcast with hime on Mohr Stories a couple of years ago.

I've read "It's So Easy and other Lies" as well as Slash's biography and Steven's. As a die-hard Gn'R fan, what I found most interesting was reading about the same incidents through three different points of view - as altered as they might have been through drunk and drug-induced foggy lenses.

Eagle23 - you will not be disappointed. I'm sure Duff will be super fired up for that gig! You can look at the setlists online of the three shows they've played. Same setlist so far for 2/3 - the only difference is DC got Patience and KC/Detroit got Don't Cry.

Eagle23 - you will not be disappointed. I'm sure Duff will be super fired up for that gig! You can look at the setlists online of the three shows they've played. Same setlist so far for 2/3 - the only difference is DC got Patience and KC/Detroit got Don't Cry.

"All we need is a couple PAYCHECKS."

"All we need is a couple PAYCHECKS."

I'm confused...

If this is a reference to the guys in Gn'R NEEDING money, I doubt that's the case. Now, to be fair - many claim the biggest - if not the only reason - this "reunion" came to fruition is because of Slash's recent divorce and Perla was the wedge driven between Axl and Slash. Who knows? Are they getting seriously paid? Obviously. But as a fan of this band, as long as I'm entertained by what they do on stage (or in the studio) that's all I really care about. In my view, they put on a killer show. What they do with that money or why they want that money is not my concern. My entertainment is what I care about in that respect - they more than fulfilled their side of the bargain.

Duff's first book was really good. An eye-opener for sure about how G'N'R ascended and then fell apart. His second book looks interesting too. I'm sure its a good read about fatherhood.

I'm confused...

If this is a reference to the guys in Gn'R NEEDING money, I doubt that's the case. Now, to be fair - many claim the biggest - if not the only reason - this "reunion" came to fruition is because of Slash's recent divorce and Perla was the wedge driven between Axl and Slash. Who knows? Are they getting seriously paid? Obviously. But as a fan of this band, as long as I'm entertained by what they do on stage (or in the studio) that's all I really care about. In my view, they put on a killer show. What they do with that money or why they want that money is not my concern. My entertainment is what I care about in that respect - they more than fulfilled their side of the bargain.

You are confused. It's a simple parody, which has nothing to do with GNR at all (except in that thy provided the musical basis for the said parody.)

A friend and I wrote the parody back when we were young and poorly employed.

Attachments

• MTM5MjM5NzcxMjUwNjMyMDMx.jpg
    MTM5MjM5NzcxMjUwNjMyMDMx.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 84
Yes, those are clearly less than flattering pictures of him and while he has added some weight over the years (he's now 54, not in his 20's like he was during the making of AFD) he still puts on a great show and can - and does - hit the vast majority of the vintage Axl screams and yells. Their setlist has been between 2.5-2.75 hours on this tour and they have been playing in front of pretty good sized crowds. They sold out Ford Field and the Chicago football stadium (the first night). So, there is clearly still a demand to see one of the most famous rock singers ever.

Obviously Axl still has some good pipes or AC/DC would not have chosen him to front the band. I talked to someone who saw him perform at Coachella and said it was a disappointment though.

I heard about the Fat Axl Memes on a morning radio show. From what they said there was one meme buried deep on the web until Axl sued Google to take it down. This caused the memes to multiply and to become the topic of morning talk radio.

Bringing this back. I saw GNR friday night. Amazing show. I wish they spend more time on their first album, but still an amazing night. I was stoked when i heard that Alice in Chains was opening, They played Seattle a month ago and i totally forgot to get tickets until it was too late. So them opening was great.

All in all, another moment crossed off the bucket list.

Bringing this back. I saw GNR friday night. Amazing show. I wish they spend more time on their first album, but still an amazing night. I was stoked when i heard that Alice in Chains was opening, They played Seattle a month ago and i totally forgot to get tickets until it was too late. So them opening was great.

All in all, another moment crossed off the bucket list.

Hey Eagle23 - what are your thoughts on the chances they'll record new music together after the South America tour and AX/DC tours are done? I give it a 10% chance. It would be great if they could release something new. Glad you enjoyed the show. The only thing I kind of wished is if they mixed up the setlist more during the tour just to see more songs performed on Youtube. Some cities got Don't Cry (like we did) others got Patience. I saw they did Catcher in the Rye in at least one city, but other than that, it's been pretty much the exact same setlist every night.

Hey Eagle23 - what are your thoughts on the chances they'll record new music together after the South America tour and AX/DC tours are done? I give it a 10% chance. It would be great if they could release something new. Glad you enjoyed the show. The only thing I kind of wished is if they mixed up the setlist more during the tour just to see more songs performed on Youtube. Some cities got Don't Cry (like we did) others got Patience. I saw they did Catcher in the Rye in at least one city, but other than that, it's been pretty much the exact same setlist every night.

I dont know, they might, seems like a possibility. I know Axl said he was interested in doing album with AC/DC, but i dont think thats going to happen. If GNR does do another album, I am curious as to who will have creative control, Axl looking for a more sophisticated sound with pianos and such, or Slash who does more straight hard rock music

Yeah, that creative difference was allegedly one of the divisive forces between the two in the early 90's, along with Axl's lack of punctuality and Slash's substance abuse. However, I also read it was due largely to Slash's now former wife, Perla as well as an interesting theory that Axl never forgave Slash for working with Michael Jackson, who of course, was largely believed to be a child molester. Axl was the victim of sexaul abuse in his youth.

I am going to bring this thread back from the dead. Got the work on Sunday night that Gun's is touring the US again next year and are coming back to Washington in September. I'm already pretty pumped about it.

Yeah, I saw the tour was heading back to North America in 2017, but it's not coming anywhere NEAR Detroit, so I'm out. If it was in Chicago or somewhere "roadtripable" I'd probably be game, but not this time :( You will have a great time if you go! The only real complaint I have is that their setlist became extremely predictable. The only real question mark was if "Don't Cry" or "Patience" would precede "Paradise City" for the encore. Maybe since it will mark the 30th anniversary of Appetite they'll play the entire album. Part of the appeal of Gn'R was always the unpredictability and while it was refreshing to see Axl actually become punctual and professional, I'd like to see more mixing up of the setlist.

I was excited to learn that they were going to be playing in Montreal, but the cheapest ticket is $158! That's one ticket on the lawn at a venue that holds upwards of 50,000 people. eff that. Last time I went to that venue was for Radiohead and it was a muddy mess with 40,000 people. Long lines for cheap beer (Molson, of course), long lines for the toilets (port a johns).

I liked GnR, still like appetite for destruction. Saw them when the opened for Aerosmith (1987) in St. louis at the Arena.

Stopped liking them the first time I heard the song patience. (no offense to the hardcore GNR fans.)

Got my tickets for the next leg of their tour as they're going to play Detroit at the new Pistons/Wings arena in early November. There is some talk of them possibly recording a new album with the current lineup. I'd love to see/hear it, but like anything Gn'R-based I'll believe it when I see it.

Back