What beer style is best left longer in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
So here's my dilemma, I want to brew another batch of beer but I'm pretty much out of bottles (and room for the bottles) completely. What would be a good style or recipe that I could brew which would benefit from being left in the primary for well over a month? In that time period, I'm sure some bottles would be freed up.

Any beer really. The longer you let her go the better off she will be as long as outside environmental condition are ideal. So the door in my opinion is open. I like to age mine with some oak cubes if im gonna wait longer than 8 weeks, just an idea. Good luck & happy brewing! :mug:

I like to leave in the primary for 3-4 weeks. I do not secondary. I brewed a batch that I left in the primary for about 2 months, an American Wheat. It turned out with a phenolic character, but I do not think that had anything to do with letting it sit so long. (I had used a yeast cultured from a commercial wheat brew, with no idea as to exactly what type of yeast, how much was viable, and what the ideal fermentation temp should have been).

People here have told of experiences leaving their beer in their primary for longer than that, and the beer turned out fine.

Now, what I would do is brew your beer, and in the next few weeks pick up some fine commercial brews for your and your friends. Save the bottles; between these and the bottles that you free up in the meantime, you should have enough. Also ask friends to save bottles for you, no twist offs of course. I initially bought 2 cases of bottles, and now have about 8, just by saving bottles and collecting from friends. (Believe me, I want to be kegging in my future.)

Good advice. Some even recommend leaving beers for many many months. I had an Irish Stout I let sit for 4 months, and aged it in bottles for 2 months .... its a neighborhood favorite. The thing about beer is there is no limit. If you think it you can do it. Dont like it, flavor it up, mix it up, cook with it. The possibilities are limitless. Remember, look back in time, those monks would age beer like wine. Not like todays stigma, where people think the quicker its bottled and drank the better it must be.

I think you do what you think feels right. The fun of beer brewing imho is the experimentation. The last thing I want is to clone something. VARIETY IS THE SPICE OF LIFE!! :mug:

About the only styles that won't benefit from a month in the primary are wheats and hefeweizens. Even those extra time won't hurt.

If what you decide to brew calls for dry hopping, hold off until a week before bottling.

Thanks for the responses! I was thinking about brewing up a spin off of a Rogue Dead Guy recipe and leaving it in the primary for about 2 months.

If you have serious concerns about autolysis you could rack the beer off the primary, clean out the fermenter, and rack back in. IMO you should be fine without doing that.

Back