Priming sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipbr21054

Reaction score
I am making a bitter from the Firkin Brewery OG 1045
I am nearly at the stage for secondary but thought i would ask the question about what it shows about the priming sugar.

It reads the following.
1 level uk teaspoon per pint ????
This then = 6.6oz

As a novice i am not sure if this sounds to high and thus a basic printed
instruction on the can as other brews i have made have only used 4 or 5oz
Please advise if it sounds high or should i just add 4oz or 5oz of sugar.
I am to bottle my brew & leave in the house for two weeks & dont want any bottle bombs.
Is there much difference if i say add 4oz as oppossed to 5oz and vice versa.

Thanks very much.

Dissolve 3/4-1cp. sucrose (table sugar) in a little water on the stove and let cool. Then, pitch into your bottling bucket and rack onto it. The siphoning will distribute the sugar appropriately. Bottle as normal. Just a thought. P.S. This method is for a 5 US gallon batch!

I would not add the priming sugar to the bottle, even though some people do, and some instructions say to. It's better to mix with boiling water, let cool, then add to bottling bucket. Then carefully and gently pour the beer onto the sugar water, allowing the siphon action to mix the sugar water into the beer in a swirling motion. Then just bottle the mixture! I think it's actually easier and less messy.

Back