Need some hopping advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goyagon

Reaction score
I am brewing an imperial ipa on Thursday with some new belma leaf hops I bought from hops direct. I've never used leaf hops before and wanna know if I need to use a mesh bag for the boil/mash/dry hops or if I just throw them in. I also wanted to know if it would be beneficial to add most of the hops after 30 mins in the boil. My current recipe is:
14 lbs Marris otter
1.25 lbs crystal 15
1oz Belma Mash
1oz Belma 60 mins
1oz Belma 45
1oz Belma 30
1oz Belma 15
1oz Belma 10
2oz Belma Dry hop 4 days
108 IBUs

I never use a bag for leaf hops but I have a "bazooka screen" to keep them from clogging up my ball valve and pump. It's really up to you and how your system is on whether you want to bag them or not. For dryhopping, I never bag hops but I'm very proficient with racking after all my wines as a winemaker. Some people find it difficult to siphon a beer loaded with hops.

For the recipe, I've never had those hops but an IIPA is typically full of late hops and not the 45 and 30 minute hops. I'd hop more like this: 60/15/10/5/0/dryhop with the hops.

Yooper said:
I never use a bag for leaf hops but I have a "bazooka screen" to keep them from clogging up my ball valve and pump. It's really up to you and how your system is on whether you want to bag them or not. For dryhopping, I never bag hops but I'm very proficient with racking after all my wines as a winemaker. Some people find it difficult to siphon a beer loaded with hops.

For the recipe, I've never had those hops but an IIPA is typically full of late hops and not the 45 and 30 minute hops. I'd hop more like this: 60/15/10/5/0/dryhop with the hops.

Do the dry hops settle out or do they float at the top?

Edit: nvm my question was answered

bleme said:
I would use a weighted bag for the dry hopping as whole leaf floats even worse than pellets do.

Are there special bags or can I just use my regular ones with something inside to weigh them down

Do the dry hops settle out or do they float at the top?

Edit: nvm my question was answered

Some sink, most float. The beer still permeates the hops, through diffusion, so they don't need to sink anyway.

It's easy for me to rack from between the floating hops and the bottom of the fermenter, just by starting the siphon in the middle and lowering it as the level of the beer lowers. To me, it's FAR harder to get a bag of hops INTO the carboy and then OUT of the carboy once they are saturated. :D

You can use your regular bags. I wouldn't weigh it down (why would you?) but I know some do.

Goyagon said:
Are there special bags or can I just use my regular ones with something inside to weigh them down

I use regular bags. Marbles work for me but a lot of people in my brew club say they need stainless steel nuts to get theirs below to surface. I also only dry hop in buckets. :D

I guess I'll try dry hopping without bags and then if that doesn't work ill do bags with marbles. Thanks for the help guys.

Back