• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 41638

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a copper immersion chiller. I have a 13 gal brew kettle, but am only starting out with 5 gal batches. One day I will move to 10 gal batches. I don't know if that means I should buy a 25' or a 50', but I'm open to either.

Hold out for a 50', you can do 5 & 10 gallon batches with one. Take it from someone who's had to buy an ic twice.:eek:

I am handy but no miracle worker. I am in Finance by day to give you a sense. I found the most economical way to obtain one was to BUILD IT!

Go to Home Depot or Local Plumbing Supply for the appropriate Copper Refrigerator tubing....I think I used 3/8. There are "How Tos" all over the internet. I got a spring tubing bender to prevent kinks and then got hold of a long round object of the appropriate diameter (A few inches from the walls of the pot). Then Wrap!

Second set of hands is helpful and I used a paint can for my template.

To get water in/out I used clear tubing from Home Depot with an ID to match the OD of the copper tubing. I used worm clamps to lock it down and prevent leaks and bought a barbed hose attachment for the water supply end.

All in it was probably less than 2 hours of work and way cheaper than buying one at a LHBS.

Dave:mug:

I just bought a 50 off amazon. I found cost to make what i wanted to be expensive...plus the one i ordered is all welded fittings...mine would have been no where near as nice as what i bought for about 65 bux. 50 was the way to go! I can chill 5 gal batches in under 5 min.

Back