Kombucha Ale experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmerk23

Reaction score
I've been wanting to make an ale (read hooch) that doesn't use grain.

My method: i brewed 1 gallon of buch using double the ingredients.

2c cane sugar
1/2c galubi black tea
1 gal water
1c newt
Scoby.

Fermented 3 weeks and was still sweet. Sour but sweet. Not vinegar.

Today I heated 2c finished buch in a stock pot until 140deg. Added 2 c raw cane sugar. Like turbinado. Melted the sugar and poured right into the primary sans the Scoby. I didn't care about killing all the yeast but it wasn't that warm. Stirred to release the CO2 (yeast hates co2.) I also added 1T tea leaves just to get some tannin in there. Strained off.

I rehydrated the EC 118 champagne yeast in clean water. Poured into a 1 gal glass bottle. Poured everything from the primary brew in. Put an airlock to create an anaerobic environment so yeast just works. We don't want the acetobacter to work otherwise it will eat the alcohol and convert to vinegar.

I'll keep you all posted.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1428807263.252603.jpg

I've been wanting to make an ale (read hooch) that doesn't use grain.

My method: i brewed 1 gallon of buch using double the ingredients.

2c cane sugar
1/2c galubi black tea
1 gal water
1c newt
Scoby.

Fermented 3 weeks and was still sweet. Sour but sweet. Not vinegar.

Today I heated 2c finished buch in a stock pot until 140deg. Added 2 c raw cane sugar. Like turbinado. Melted the sugar and poured right into the primary sans the Scoby. I didn't care about killing all the yeast but it wasn't that warm. Stirred to release the CO2 (yeast hates co2.) I also added 1T tea leaves just to get some tannin in there. Strained off.

I rehydrated the EC 118 champagne yeast in clean water. Poured into a 1 gal glass bottle. Poured everything from the primary brew in. Put an airlock to create an anaerobic environment so yeast just works. We don't want the acetobacter to work otherwise it will eat the alcohol and convert to vinegar.

I'll keep you all posted.View attachment 270528
I meant to add, did you use the whole newt? Or just the Eyes?:p

I used all the finished Kombucha plus 2c of new sugar plus 1T of new t.

Newt? Pardon my daftness but I assume it's not the amphibian. What do you mean?

Ha! I just got that now. Sorry I'm dense.

"Newt" is slang for "new tea"

I watched a bunch of KBBK how to videos and Eric seemed to coin the word newt liken to "wort" so it stuck with me. My apologies.

No amphibians have been used in this post. :)

So far it seems to be working. Once the kombucha was complete, I racked the sour tea into a 1 gallon jug along with 1 cup of boiled sugar mixed with some kombucha. It brought the gravity to 1.080 and once I put the airlock on, it has yet to grow a Scoby. I sipped it once and it's still sweet but I put a flashlight up to it and it's still making bubbles so I moved this to the attic as we have been running the AC.

Btw: I tried a few of the kombucha ales from Unity and they weren't that bad. Mine is like the base version of their finished product. I may be onto something.

Back