Muscadine help, newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Muscadine

Recipe used started Sept 27

2 – 6 Lbs of Muscadines (red)
(the more fruit the better flavor and body)
3 quarts of water
2 cups Table Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Pectic Enzyme
1 Yeast Nutrient tablet, crushed
1 Campden Tablet, crushed
1 pkg. Wine Yeast

Since I was new, and did not understand a lot, I made some mistakes. I did not use the campden or the pectic enzyme.

Removed the lees as per the recipe and racked to secondary a week later. Nothing else has been done since. It is a light blush color in tube and beer color in secondary (white bucket). Taste is not bad but tastes like alcohol. We did sweeten test tube sample with inverted sugar. I like it, he thought it was too sweet.

Tested the SG today using an Alla and brix is 4 and SP is 2 (looks like one line below finish.) Very little settlement today. I did not have a hygrometer until a few days ago so I don't know what the starting numbers were. I hear the bubble in the air lock periodically now - not in a room we frequent so I am not sure how often.

How much longer should I let it set?

I was reading about f-pack? Is that a good idea because initial grapes were light load? If so I should use a f-pack and does anyone have a specific recipe. Grocery store still has muscadine but probably not much longer. Any other way to make it besides the muscadines? Initially grapes were our home grown. Can I buy them now and freeze them? OR?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on what we should do.

It needs to be in a carboy, topped up to within 1/2 inch of the bung. I'm not sure it is, that's why I mentioned it.

Let it sit for at least 45 days, out of direct light. In 45-60 days, rack it to a new carboy if there are 1/4" of lees or more (and there will be).

It should finish at .990 or so, and will be a clear blush color. At that time, if you use to sweeten it, you can either buy some campden and sorbate or buy some wine conditioner, sold at winemaking shops.

The nice thing about campden and sorbate instead of a wine condition (F-pack) is that you can totally control the amount and type of sweetening to use at that time. Some people like honey, sugar syrup, grape juice, apple juice, etc to sweeten it. Or you can sweeten some and leave some dry, to see what you like better for next time.

But for now, make sure it's in a carboy, topped up and in a dark place, and leave it alone!

Last week when I checked it, it was a nice light rose color. It is still in a bucket and a about 2/3rds full. I have 1 gallon bottles I bought at the wine store. What size bung would I need?

All is good now. We went to a different wine shop and have 1 gallon in a carboy with an air lock.

Back