Thermometer and thermocoupler combo unit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickles

Reaction score
I am sourcing parts for an electric boil kettle and came across this interesting piece. I am wondering if this would be compatible with a PID (probably Auber). In my mind if it will work it would eliminate one fitting on keg and also be a water tight thermocoupler. I read a post lately from Pol about his not being water tight. I know very little about electronics, so bear with me.

Here she is:

1181-44.jpg
1181-47.jpg

Specs:
"50 to 300°F (10 to 150°C) temperature range with an accuracy of ±1% of full scale. It features a 1/2" NPT(M) connection, 3" dial, 6 inch long by 1/4" diameter stem, 304 SS case and stem and glass lens. Built-in 4 to 20 mA transmitter allows data transfer to a PC, control room, or other data acquisition devices."

I am sourcing parts for an electric boil kettle and came across this interesting piece. I am wondering if this would be compatible with a PID (probably Auber). In my mind if it will work it would eliminate one fitting on keg and also be a water tight thermocoupler. I read a post lately from Pol about his not being water tight. I know very little about electronics, so bear with me.

Here she is:

1181-44.jpg
1181-47.jpg

Specs:
"50 to 300°F (10 to 150°C) temperature range with an accuracy of ±1% of full scale. It features a 1/2" NPT(M) connection, 3" dial, 6 inch long by 1/4" diameter stem, 304 SS case and stem and glass lens. Built-in 4 to 20 mA transmitter allows data transfer to a PC, control room, or other data acquisition devices."

It will absolutely take a 4 to 20 mA input. In the Auber Instrument manual for the SYL-4342 and SYL-4352 it says all you need is an external 50 Ohm shunt resistor. The other Auber PID's are probably the same but check the manuals to be sure. Where can you buy them because I would love to buy one also?

What the heck is that?

Best way to add a thermocouple to an e-kettle in my opinion is to do it via a sightglass. You can get a 4" thermocouple from auberins and a sightglass from bargain fittings. Hook it up to a PID and the PID will give you temp readings while heating and cooling.

What the heck is that?

Best way to add a thermocouple to an e-kettle in my opinion is to do it via a sightglass. You can get a 4" thermocouple from auberins and a sightglass from bargain fittings. Hook it up to a PID and the PID will give you temp readings while heating and cooling.

What are you talking about? Why in God's name would he neer a sightglass? This thing is perfect for his application. It will screw right into the 1/2" coupler welded right into the side of his keggle or brewpot. The thermometer also has a 4 to 20 mA output which a Auber Instruments PID can use with a 50 Ohm shunt resistor so he doesn't need a second coupler on his brew pot for a thermocouple. The whole idea of using this thing is so he can have a temperature monitoring device which can be connected to a PID and a thermometer connected to his keggle through one coupler.

Search thermometer in the ebay store. I just bought one and they have one left but a 9" probe on it.

What are you talking about? Why in God's name would he neer a sightglass? This thing is perfect for his application. It will screw right into the 1/2" coupler welded right into the side of his keggle or brewpot. The thermometer also has a 4 to 20 mA output which a Auber Instruments PID can use with a 50 Ohm shunt resistor so he doesn't need a second coupler on his brew pot for a thermocouple.

Lots of people want sightglasses, even in keggles. I was just giving the guy another way to get a sightglass and a thermocouple in the same hole and still get a temp read-out.

I will have a sight glass in the kettle, however, I prefer it to be installed in an elbow fitting to keep it closer to the kettle so it's stays out of harms way. Also, I would need to find a waterproof thermocouple, which Sawdustguy said he found but paid a bit more fot it. Plus that thing is kickass!

Lots of people want sightglasses, even in keggles. I was just giving the guy another way to get a sightglass and a thermocouple in the same hole and still get a temp read-out.

I understand that, but that would require a separate thermocouple and thermometer and two couplings on his brew pot which he is trying to avoid. He is probably using the PID to control the temperature and wants to verify the temp with a thermometer.

I understand that, but that would require a separate thermocouple and thermometer and two couplings on his brew pot which he is trying to avoid. He is probably using the PID to control the temperature and wants to verify the temp with a thermometer.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can just put the waterproof thermocouple through the sightglass couple and use one hole if you use this sightglass http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop1.html

Once your PID is configured it should give you accurate temp readings of the wort. One hole, sightglass and thermocouple, to me, that saves another hole in the kettle. Seems like overkill to add another thermometer if you don't trust your PID readout.

Seems like overkill to add another thermometer if you don't trust your PID readout.

I want th keggle to be "selfsufficient"; I may not have the electric service finalized in the garage til spring so I want to be able to use the turkey fryer in a pinch. It also gives me piece of mind.

You can just put the waterproof thermocouple through the sightglass couple and use one hole if you use this sightglass http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop1.html

Once your PID is configured it should give you accurate temp readings of the wort. One hole, sightglass and thermocouple, to me, that saves another hole in the kettle. Seems like overkill to add another thermometer if you don't trust your PID readout.

Thw only problem with that is it will stick out about 8" from the keggle. the OP has already stated that he wants an elbow only on his sight glass so it doesn't stick out very much. Your wasting your time trying to talk him into something he doesn't want.

It's been purchased so it's a mute point. The bottomline is I wanted it but wanted to make sure it would work. It is a slick way to give me an analog and digital temp.

It's been purchased so it's a mute point. The bottomline is I wanted it but wanted to make sure it would work. It is a slick way to give me an analog and digital temp.

Congrats! I hope they have more so I can buy one. Don't forget that when it's time to use it with your PID you will need a precision 50 Ohm 1 watt resistor. They are only a buck or two.

Thanks Guy I've been following your build and will probably "steal" some of your ideas. Thanks again for the help on this beauty! I'm off to bed.

Ok things have changed. I'm now using a Brewtroller; will this work with the BT? I hope so, its sitting in my garage!

Can you post the make and part number of the device? I have no idea what it is you are trying to integrate.

Oh I didn't realize the pics were gone in the OP. I'll check when I get home this afternoon.

This is what it looks like

4283748960_a7e5f162b4_o.jpg

4283004461_f8f0004971_o.jpg

No other marking on it, except that it says Cole-Palmer on the dial.

These are the only specs I have:

Latest posts

Back