Big Mouth Bubbler Universal Lid solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had 2 bigmouth bubblers, both have the universal lid, and both lids will sit down and seal just like, I'm sure, they were designed.

Bought a 3rd BMB (the pipeline is strong with this one), and new universal lid and guess what? No worky w/ the new lid.

Not sure exactly what's different between them. I used to let the lids soak in Star-San solution in between batches, maybe that softened the silicone gasket. All I know is I have a 3rd BMB and the lid won't stay down.

Northern Brewer sent me a new lid, gratis (good service, there), but it doesn't work any better. So I used the online chat to ask if there was any workaround.

There is. Should have thought of this myself in fact. Take a large worm-gear clamp, large enough to stretch around the mouth. Seat the lid, then using either cordage or straps, drape the straps or cordage over the lid and extending down past the mouth. Use the worm-gear clamp to hold them there.

It's a workaround, and obviously NB should be solving this on their own, but it will work in the meantime. If I get motivated I may trim the lid down so the ring can secure it, but meanwhile, this will work.

I was just about to purchase one of the new 6.5 gallon Siphonless Big Mouth Bubblers from Mid West, I'm assuming they all have this issue?

I was just about to purchase one of the new 6.5 gallon Siphonless Big Mouth Bubblers from Mid West, I'm assuming they all have this issue?

I don't know. I have two that are just peachy, the others not. Funny thing is I wouldn't let this dissuade me from buying more--I think they're terrific. I just kegged a batch tonite, drained it out of the siphonless BMB, and it's smooth as silk. Very easy to clean--I can reach all the way in with a soft cloth.

I'm experimenting a bit with the two lids that won't seat. I'm soaking them in Star-San, as I'd done the others which work fine. I'm going to see if a little such treatment might correct the issue.

Here's the setup tonite, and kudos go to PlexVector for the use of the IN gas line to send CO2 from the purged keg back into the fermenter to keep from having oxygen enter the system.

closedloopco2.jpg

A little update. I'd soaked the new Universal Lids in Star-San for a couple weeks hoping it might do something to allow them to seat correctly. No joy.

I may end up doing PassedPawns method to trim the lid so it can be used with the ring, but in the meantime I bought a couple 6" worm drive clamps to hold the lids down with cordage or straps.

Hi all new here and had the same issue. I found that blue painters tape works great and doesn't leave a sticky residue and no risk of damage with the clamp method. Cheap fix too.

I haven't been posting much in the past year or so, but now that I'm on holiday, I'm trying to catch up.

I had this issue but found the answer in Northern Brewer's forum. You can find it in the Q&A section on the product page now.

The solution is to flip the gasket upside-down. Since I've tried doing that, I've had zero issues. Plus, no tape, no glue, nothing. Simple solution to a very aggravating issue.

I use two cheapo photography clamps. Works great for me. I shouldn't have to make my own fix but there it is.

Two solutions:
1. Like everyone has said - flip the gasket upside down (although haven't tried it personally yet)

2. Use Irwin Quik Clamps (a 12 inch one) - I used two on the lid applying pressure both inwards and down; great contact and I have my seal back. Blow off tube is back in action.

I've used electrical tape for a couple of years on fermenters with screw lids that won't seal. I simply tape the lid to the fermenter. Painter's tape is a good idea, but electrical tape (quality electrical tape) has some stretch, and seals very well. No problem with adhesive..... it isn't there long enough.

I've had exactly the same problem with the Fast Ferment..

H.W.

Im finding this problem with all things ' friction based seal + slippery sanitizer '
Easy solution: dry the opening and stopper with a paper towel

I tried the gasket flipping for the first time while fermenting this weekend. Worked like a charm. I had an aggressive fermentation and the lid stayed in place.

Back