How to get rid of Dr. Pepper smell from HDPE barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norwest

Reaction score
Hi,

Just bought a 13 and 30 gallon HDPE barrels which had contained Dr. Pepper (DP) flavoring in them. I rinsed out the residue but the DP (no pun intended) smell still lingers. Not that the DP smell is unpleasnat but I do not want it funking up my cider:fro:. Any recomendations for what cleaners/sanitizers to use to mitigate the DP smell? Any cleaners/sanitizers to avoid using on HDPE?

Thanks,

Norwest

mix a concoction of vegetable oil and baking soda. Spread on inside of bucket. Repeat, and again. The vegetable oil provides a medium of similar polarity of the bucket to extract the scent. The baking soda works just as it does in your fridge. The oil also allows for it to adhere.

Thanks that makes sense had not thought about the polarity of HDPE. How long to leave the slury? Norwest

It will probably take a couple of coats, so time is less of a factor than number of applications. I would wait 24 to 48 hours before rinsing and reapplying. Use hand dish detergent between applications.

You might try subbing the baking soda with borax instead. Borax is what is used when a laundry detergent say it has a color safe bleach in it. Borax is a good odor neutralizer.

Back