Lemon Ginger Wheat Recipe - Looking for Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegrau

Reaction score
I'm considering a lemon ginger wheat beer for my next batch, but a little uncertain in my recipe formulation. Here's what I'm contemplating (scaled down to a 5 gallon batch)...

6# Pilsner Malt (MFB or Weyerman)
3# Wheat Malt (Weyerman)
1# Vienna

1oz Cluster (8.7%a) @ 60mins
1oz chopped fresh ginger @ 5mins
Zest from 1 lemon @ 5mins

Estimated OG: 1.055; estimated ABV: 5.3%

I brew 20 or 25 gallon batches, so I usually like to pitch a different yeast in each carboy. For this I'd probably Safbrew T-58, Safale US-05, and Wyeast 3463.

I'm looking for advice on how much lemon and ginger to add, and when to add it. Also I was wondering if anyone has any additional yeast suggestions, or knowledge of interactions between the lemon and ginger, and the above mentioned strains.

Finally, the wheat malt that I have is probably about 2 years old, in an unopened, sealed sack. Are there any problems with wheat this old, as long as it's free from bugs and vermin?

Thanks!

Actually I just brewed up a Southeast Asian inspired Witbier so I could at least offer a little advice.

For 5 gallons I used an ounce of ginger, an ounce of coriander (the real stuff from India that's oblong shaped), and 2 ounces of lemongrass. They were all added at the 5 minute mark like you have posted.

Zest of 1 lemon should be fine. But be sure to roll the whole lemon firmly on your countertop first. This will make juices escape the "meat" and seep into the pith/skin. You should also give Wyeast 3944 a try. Ferment in the low 60's for clove flavors, high 60's for banana.

As for the wheat malt... meh, it should be fine considering it's been sealed.

Back