How to get that German "twang"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some people refer to it as the skunky aroma, but I like it.

Anyone have the underlying reason that St. Pauli Girl, Heineken (sp) and other German beers have that nice sunky smell?

I for one love that taste and woudn't mind trying to brew one similar in nature (ale is my preference since Id don't yet have lagering "facilities").

Thanks.

Light. The green bottles let ultraviolet light react with hop compounds making chemicals almost identical to skunk stink. Leave your bottles out in the sunlight. Enjoy.

You don't really have to brew one. It's what occurs from the hop bitters when they hit enough uv-light. Bottle in green/clear/blue and set one on the window sill. Chill & serve. Too skunky, too much time. Not skunky enough send it to AZ for some real UV :)

Just so you know - it's not a "German" thing - it's an off flavor from poor handling. It's not a desired trait - but, whatever floats your boat.

homebrewer_99 said:
HEY! How DARE you call Heineken German!!! :mad:

Some of that flavor you're referring to may be Sauermalz, not skunkiness.:D

Oh, I didn't even catch that! I remember, about 25 years ago in Amsterdam, my first experience in a sidewalk cafe with unlimited Heineken. Limited Gulders, fortunately, or else I might never have come home.........

Anyway, back to the thread at hand. You'll find that the "real" beers you're referring to do taste differently if fresh and not light-struck. Another example of that is Grolsch (another Dutch product). It tastes skunky here, because it's bottled in green (or sometimes clear) bottles, but in the Nederlands, it tastes different. A good beer should never be skunky, but that happens when beers are bottled in light colored glass and/or transported great distances. If you like the flavor of those beers, nothing wrong with that. But they won't be easy to recreate.

rdwj said:
Just so you know - it's not a "German" thing - it's an off flavor from poor handling. It's not a desired trait - but, whatever floats your boat.

Thanks,
I was about to post that.

Kai

Latest posts

Back