10 gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBboomer

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build a new system. I have been making 5 gal batches so far. My question is this. I have picked up a double wall stainless vessel that I am considering for a mash tun. According to the dimensions, I fugure it it will hold about 11 gallons. Will this be enough for 10 gallon batches of say an IPA? I also have kegs I can convert but I thought the double wall would make for good temp retention. I have been batch sparging so far so I can split the sparge water up but I am unsure of how much grain I will need room for.
Darrell

That should work for you, but only just barely. It'll hold plenty of grain, but you might end up with some pretty thick mashes. Just be sure to stir reasonably often and sparge well, and you'll be all set. I do 15 gallon batches with a 15 gallon cooler, and I'm achieving 70% efficiency or better.

my mashtun is a 10 gallon Igloo cooler and it works fine.

I do something a bit diferent though. Since Im batch sparging right now, I use my keggle to heat up 10 gallons of water to 180*. I then fill up two 5 gallon coolers with the sparge water. The coolers keep it at 180* then when I start filling my keggle with wort, I dump one of the 5 gallons in at a time to batch sparge. So I get a total of 3 runnings from my 10 gallon mashtun.

I use a 50 quart cooler. The only time I have had trouble was with an Old Rasputin clone that used roughly 42 lbs. of grain. But that had a target gravity of 1.092.

Chimone said:
my mashtun is a 10 gallon Igloo cooler and it works fine.

I do something a bit diferent though. Since Im batch sparging right now, I use my keggle to heat up 10 gallons of water to 180*. I then fill up two 5 gallon coolers with the sparge water. The coolers keep it at 180* then when I start filling my keggle with wort, I dump one of the 5 gallons in at a time to batch sparge. So I get a total of 3 runnings from my 10 gallon mashtun.

Interesting setup. How much water you mashing in with? Is it the standard 1.25 quarts per pound?

I can see graduating to 10 gallon batches using this method as soon as I elevate my HLT keggle.

Do you ferment 10 gallons at a time or do you do two 5 gallon fermentors?

I have nice keggles on ebay at http://stores.ebay.com/keggle-brewing
I buy kegs legal spend my time converting them for fellow homebrewers at a fair price. I did all the leg work finding the best for the least for nice clean keggles. you just have to do the brewing

Thanks
Pedal

EdWort said:
Interesting setup. How much water you mashing in with? Is it the standard 1.25 quarts per pound?

I can see graduating to 10 gallon batches using this method as soon as I elevate my HLT keggle.

Do you ferment 10 gallons at a time or do you do two 5 gallon fermentors?

Yea most of the time its 1.2 qts per pound. I wish I had a 10 gallon fermentor, but I split it into two 6.5 carboys.

This does make it alot easier. And the 5 gallon Igloos hole that temp exactly until Im ready to sparge. Until I get a stand built, this will work just fine.

Pedal, I'm looking at your SS drain tube. You got anything like a hop stopper you an put on the end to keep debris out?

I fill my 15 gal converted keg when I mash with 30 lb of grain. I couldn't go any smaller on that vessel. If you only want to brew smaller beers at 10 gal you are fine.

Back