ford focus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friarjohn

Reaction score
Is there a mechanic for ford in the house? I have aa 2001 ford focus with an ignition lock issue. it sticks in the off position and will not move unless you cross your toes just right. I have been fighting the last hour and a half to get the cylinder out. I have taken the column covers off, turn to accessary, push in on the release on the side of the column, pull on the cylinder.Nothing. Oh did i mention that its 1o degrees out side?

I have a friend that bought a Focus about a year ago. After they bought it, they wanted me to see how safe they were (kinda dumb to do it after but whatever). Anyway the most common complaint on those cars were that the keys would get locked in the ignition cylinder. I don't know how to fix it, but because that was a common problem on those cars, maybe call a shop or two and see if they will tell you a way to get it out. If I remember, most people have to have the ignition cylinder replaced.

common ignition tumbler issues i get on all types of cars are all the other things they have hanging on the key ring causes the ignition to get sloppy, resulting in stuck keys or unturnable keys. depending on the car, there is usually a shift interlock cable that has a pin that goes into the tumbler as well, it needs to be removed before the tumbler can be removed from the column. sometimes this cable is the cause of the key being stuck in the ignition (shifter not pulling cable far enough to let key be released- so the ignition thinks the car is still in gear and will lock the key) see if removing the cable will let the key work normally, then just leave the cable unhooked and dont forget to put the car in park when starting or shutting off.

This happens in my Jeep sometimes and I just have to rock the steering wheel back and forth while trying to turn the ignition to on to unlock it. Then I can turn the wheel straighter, turn it off, and pull the key?

Funny, my fiance has a 2008 focus and I don't think we've encountered this issue on hers yet... of course it has < 10,000 miles on it in 18 months or so, so it doesnt get driven all that often...

Back