Another Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Displaced MassHole

Reaction score
Its been a while since I've bottled anything and I need a little help. I just bottled an APA yesterday using 3/4c corn sugar. I have all the bottles sitting in the house which is usually around 72-75F. How long should I let it sit at that temp before I put it in the fridge at 38F? The last time I bottled anything I let it sit at 72-75F for a week and they turned out to be way over carb'd. Second question.....is there anything I can do to fix an over carb'd beer thats already bottled? Thanks.......

My beers carbonate in 1-2 weeks, but some take up to 3 weeks to fully carbonate. You can halt this process if you wish by putting them in the fridge when you hit your desired carbonation level. Alternately, if you feel 3/4 cup of sugar gives you too much carbonation try 2/3 cup the next time. To answer your other question, there really isn't anything you can do to "uncarbonate" your beer - other than pour it into a glass and drink it! :mug:

I think my level of over carbonation was due to the high FG and the fact that I added some fresh yeast. It was on my clone of Westvleteren 12. Now when I open one it foams up a lot and I have to let it sit for about 10-15 mins before drinking. Its really not that bad cause the extra time lets it warm up to drinking temp. I just want to avoid this on my APA 'cause I'd rather drink it cold straight from the fridge........thanks for the info though. I'm just gonna have to pop one open starting on day seven and through the rest in the fridge once I hit my desired level of carb :mug:

In order to ensure a proper carb by style use a carbonation calculator like this one.

Back