Beer Fasting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I just finished reading it and while not overly deep, it does bring up some good points and thoughts. Maybe I had it in reverse, I recently attempted repeat on a fast FROM alcohol. Maybe I should do a fast from food and go beer only instead. While I fialed in my attempt, I realized several things in my attempt to abstain from alcohol:

1) Its harder than I remember ( I have done it twice previously)
2) Its not about the act of giving it up so to speak, but more about what you learn from it. I learned that I cant give it up but need to regulate it better. If i didnt drink alcohol for 3 months like I Was attempting, I would probably come back from it and binge drink. Instead I have refocused on maintaining moderation.

I remember hearing about a guy who did this last year and was writing a book about the experience. Probably the same guy. Neat that a homebrewing related article is the top story on cnn right now.

It is amazing how many people don't understand the concept and believe the people that undertake these fasts are alcoholics. A member of this forum from my hometown of El Paso, TX fasted for 2 weeks on 4 beers a day and water. The comments at the end of the article are so misguided and off base. My favorites:
A PERFECT example why there are so many drunks and why alcoholism is at major high.
and
no, this isn't strange it is irresponsible. here is this issue promoting alcoholism.

I had a legal obligation to fast from alcohol a couple years ago :) I mainly learned that a beer tastes amazing after six months without having any.

It is amazing how many people don't understand the concept and believe the people that undertake these fasts are alcoholics. A member of this forum from my hometown of El Paso, TX fasted for 2 weeks on 4 beers a day and water. The comments at the end of the article are so misguided and off base. My favorites:

and

I was going to bring this up.. That guy from El Paso just happens to be a friend of mine!

I read this article last night. Seems like a really amazing thing to do. Unfortunately the majority of the public assumes the worst when they hear of someone fasting on nothing but beer. I'd like to try this one day. Maybe once I'm retired and don't have any obligations.

Back