Holiday Dunkel-pecans and peaches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffencourt

Reaction score
Looking to make a Holiday Dunkel and i want to put in some roasted pecans and peaches. My recipe thus far is as follows

6Lbs Wheat
3Lbs Pilsner
10oz Rice hulls
8oz Caravienne
8oz Munich
6oz Choco Wheat
4oz Carapils
.70oz Hallertauer (60mins)
.50oz Saaz (15mins)
German Wheat Wyeast #3333

1/2lbs Roasted pecans added to the mash
3lbs peach puree added to the secondary for 14 days

single infusion mash @154degrees
primary for 7days @67degrees
secondary 14days @72 degrees

Any thoughts? additions, subtractions? thanks for looking.

That sounds fantastic. The recipe looks good, I'm not sure if the pecans in the mash will impart any flavor though, but it's worth a try. I'd think they would put off oil, which might reduce the head in the final product.

I'm also big fan on leaving beers in the primary for at least 14-21 days, this gives the yeast time to clean up and get rid of any off flavors that might be attributed to pulling it from the primary too fast.

Looks good, I'd be interested to hear how it turns out and tastes.

Cheers!

I know a lot of people think Shiner Cheer is gross (that's the same as what you are making) but I think it's pretty good. The pecans will definitely come through. Read up on some of the threads about brewing with nuts. There are some good strategies about how to reduce getting the oils in your beer.

With all that wheat you do not need carapils. You probably don't need the caravienne either. Neither will hurt though.

Thanks for the input, yea, its been a while since i've had the Shiner, but i remember enjoying it. and my wife loves it, thus the reason for attempting this recipe. I did do some research on the nuts, looks like roasting them a few days early and a couple of times and letting them dry out on paper bags to soak up the oil helps out with that a lot.

Back