LHBS Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenDragon

Reaction score
So earilier today I was in my local store buying the equipment I'll need for kegging when the lady told me some interesting stuff:

She claims she hits the keg with 30lbs and then disconnects it and lets it sit for 3 weeks.. similar to bottle conditioning. After the 3 weeks is up she then servers at only 5-6lbs.

Anyone heard of this?

Does she add priming sugar before hitting it with 30psi? Just the CO2 from one blast of 30psi won't do the trick.

If priming sugar is added, then yes, this sounds right. The 30psi just seats the lid seal while the yeast do their natural carb magic. If you do this, just know that it takes less priming sugar to prime a full 5-gal keg than it does to prime 5 gallons' worth of bottles.

Does she add priming sugar before hitting it with 30psi? Just the CO2 from one blast of 30psi won't do the trick.

If priming sugar is added, then yes, this sounds right. The 30psi just seats the lid seal while the yeast do their natural carb magic. If you do this, just know that it takes less priming sugar to prime a full 5-gal keg than it does to prime 5 gallons' worth of bottles.

Yes..... and no. I hit my kegs with 30psi just to seat the lid while it sits and conditions. I don't use any priming sugar for carbonation though. When I am ready to put it on tap, I purge the keg, hook up the gas and set it to serving pressure. It will carb up as the temp drops and is usually ready to serve a week or two later.

Back