Fermenter odor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bn163

Reaction score
Just noticed that my bucket fermenter has pretty strong odor. Curious if residual odors from a previous batch will affect the flavor of my next batch, especially if I am brewing a different style of beer. Also, how many batches do you run through a bucket fermenter before buying a new one? Keep using it as long as no major scratches, etc?

I have been brewing AND making wine in the same fermenters for quite some time with no noticeable traces from one to the next. As HB Bill says, clean it good, soak it over night, and make some more beer!

I have been brewing AND making wine in the same fermenters for quite some time with no noticeable traces from one to the next. As HB Bill says, clean it good, soak it over night, and make some more beer!

+1! Just keep clean and sterile.

I have 2 plastic bucket fermenters, both have a slight hop aroma, and are stained brown form Idophore use. I trust them completely as they have been properly cleaned and sanitized after each use. One is almost 10 years old, the other is 6 years old, abd both have done 20+ batches each.

I will only replace them if they have scratches or cracks in them.

Back