How long will a yeast cake last without beer on it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kralizec

Reaction score
As the title says. I just bottled off of a 2 week primary for my IPA, I wanted to know if I would be able to use this yeast cake for another beer, probably one that was similar on the weekend. Or should I just clean it out and start again.

It has a carboy cap (2 hose type) with one of them not capped. I can cap it when I get home later if that will matter. There hasn't been that much airflow in the kitchen and I haven't cooked in there for over 2 days.

If it is feasable what beer should I make with this yeast being wyeast London ESB Ale (1968)? Another IPA or something bigger like a barleywine?

idk but sitting uncapped with no fermentation happening, would lead me to believe that there will be some airborne contaminants in there. if capped right after bottling maybe, but sounds risky at this point..

that being said, i have no experience in this department so all above statements could be absolutely wrong..
:mug:

there is a thin layer of beer on top. It would be at least monday before I could brew to fill it up.

I would say its not worth the risk. If I am not using a yeast cake right away (within a couple hours) I put it in a mason jar and top off with boiled and chilled water then keep it in the fridge.

well im gonna put off cleaning it til i would use it, then see if it looks ok. I threw on an airlock with some vodka in it.

well dont have a sterile jar, and there is a LOT of cake. hopefully it'll be ok for a bit.

What happens to yeast when left without anything to munch on for around a week at room temp? dormant or dead?

I wonder if mixing in some chlorine dioxide would help make sure the cake is clean?

I think there is a recent thread floating around about it.

I've had cakes go weird after 2 days and some were good after 2 weeks. Depends on the weather. Right now it's 3C in the brewery.

Well, Just pitched another IPA onto the cake. This was my first All Grain, but I'm not too worried about it. total cost for everything else was around $24. with 6 oz of hopage too.

1.07 OG. We'll see how well it attenuates.

but alas i still have no carbonated beer to RDWHAHB. so instead i just drank some of the wort that was stuck in the hops. :)

Latest posts

Back