Powerful Fiery Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

futurefjp

Reaction score
Last week i brewed up a test batch(2Gallons) of Ginger beer using 1.5kg Molasses, 4g HALLERTAUER HERSBRUCKER HOPS, 10g Bakers yeast, 0.5kg Blackberries, star anise, blackcurrant mint & .5kg Ginger!!!

I feel the batch was fairly successful. I will however use a dark malt grain when attempting again...

I think it might be better however with a more pronounced citrus'y' hop...any suggestions!

And are Blackberry seeds very Tannic ... at first the brew was fairly Bitter, but has since lost this and become liquorice'y' and blackcurrant like Barker & Dobson's The Sugar Boy Black & Liquorice - Barker & Dobson
with the most amazing hit of Ginger...the hop taste is floating there too, but not too pronounced...

Sounds interesting (and tasty), but why the baker's yeast?

I had some lying around...i'm just trying to use stuff in the cupboards...that's the reason i used Black Strap Molasses and not Malts...next time i really want to culture my own yeast!!!

Let us (me) know how it turns out with the yeast. I've thought about it, but haven't had the chance/need to use it.

Let us (me) know how it turns out with the yeast. I've thought about it, but haven't had the chance/need to use it.

HEE HEE,

Sunday is mission day...

My malt has arrived!

I am going to reduce the overall quantity of Ginger to 2 Gallons to 250g (i feel 500g put too many people off).

I have loads of blackcurrants(in garden) so i think i'll use them over blackberries(in shop).

1 kg. Crystal Malt 120°L
1.5 kg. Maris Otter Pale
14 g. Northern Brewer (Whole, 8.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
14 g. Hallertau Hersbruck (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.500 kilograms Blackcurrants
.250 kilograms Ginger
Munton-Fison Active Brewing Yeast.

I'd like to utilise the slurry from the strong ginger batch...how is this best achieved?

Is it best to boil the blackcurrants as an adjunct or put them in the secondary as the primer?

Daniel

HEE HEE,

Sunday is mission day...

My malt has arrived!

I am going to reduce the overall quantity of Ginger to 2 Gallons to 250g (i feel 500g put too many people off).

I have loads of blackcurrants(in garden) so i think i'll use them over blackberries(in shop).

1 kg. Crystal Malt 120°L
1.5 kg. Maris Otter Pale
14 g. Northern Brewer (Whole, 8.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
14 g. Hallertau Hersbruck (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.500 kilograms Blackcurrants
.250 kilograms Ginger
Munton-Fison Active Brewing Yeast.

I'd like to utilise the slurry from the strong ginger batch...how is this best achieved?

Is it best to boil the blackcurrants as an adjunct or put them in the secondary as the primer?

Daniel

Do Blackcurrants have loads of wild yeasts on them??

Back