Transporting Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pj11

Reaction score
I am going away in a few weeks for a weekend with the boys

I am planning to take a keg so we can all drink cheaply but am worried that moving the keg will cause it to become unusable.

In one of the first batches I made I rolled the keg over to the fridge which I think caused it to pour mostly head even after sitting for weeks in the fridge.

When I rolled it to the fridge it had not been gassed if it were gassed would it then be less likely to be as frothy.

The keg would be transported by car for about 2 hours how long would I have to let it sit before we could start drinking without wasting too much beer.

Any help would be mcuh appreciated by this newbie

Short answer: Yep it can be done.

Longer answer:

We went on a trip with approximately an 8 hour drive & my friend brought his corny keg & CO2 tank with him. It was already pressurized & we were drinking from it within a couple of hours of us arriving at our destination. It was kicked the next day :drunk:

He kept the keg upright in the back of his SUV with bungees and no cables connected to the ball locks. Worked like a champ.

There's another side to this, but it might not be relevant for you on THIS trip, but....

How many people are going on this trip?
How many kegs are you taking?
Are you crossing state lines?

It sounds like you have a couple buddies and a single keg, so you are fine, but just note that you can only take two large kegs per person across state lines.

I just don't want anybody to have to find out about bootlegging laws the hard way like I did in college. That was an expensive lesson for me. :D

-walker

Keep it upright and cold if at all possible. Warm is a bigger problem than shaking. I take kegs to events a couple times a year & haven't had a problem.

At least he's going on a trip in a car.i'd love to see somebody back packing with a couple cornie's straped to their back..WOULD MAKE FOR AN INTERESTING PIC.:rockin:

Back