Sanitize oak additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
As a winemaker I've used oak additions for a long time and have always just added them to either the primary or secondary without any concern for contamination. When I began brewing I recognized the need for more scrupulous sanitation practices but I still couldn't understand why unsanitized oak chips/beans/spirals/staves were ok for wine and why many were so concerned with sanitation issues in beer.

In this month's Winemaker magazine there's an article on using oak in its various configurations and the author, WineExpert technical adviser, Tim Vandergrift, says

There is no need to boil [oak chips] or soak them in [sanitizer] or cook them in the microwave. Oak and nicely grained woods have a fascinating property of being able to maintain their sanitary character as long as they are kept dry. The capillaries in the wood act like miniature bacterial dehydrators, killing off potential spoilage organisms.

He goes on to offer advice for oak chips.

If they do get damp, you can either poach them in in boiling water, dry and microwave them on high for one or two minutes, or simply toss them out to be on the safe side.

Of course, barrels are another matter entirely. While new barrels need no sanitizing since, like the oak pieces mentioned above, they're naturally sanitary. I hydrate my new barrels but I don't sanitize them. When I empty them I immediately fill them again to avoid contamination. If they sit empty for longer than a day or two, contamination is likely to occur.

In that case, If you wish to store empty barrels between fills, the barrels must be thoroughly rinsed with water until the draining water is clear. Each barrel should be dried completely by placing the bunghole down and draining the water. An application of 10-20 grams of sulfur sticks (or the equivalent in gas form) will aid in the prevention of microbial growth. Next, tightly insert a silicon bung. Store the barrel in a cool, humid environment. Repeat the sulfur treatment monthly for extended storage of empty barrels.

Back