Wine Kits -- beyond the basic instructions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have some general questions primarily around the aging process.

Bulk vs bottle aging:
There has been some other threads on this and it sounds like bulk aging may be preferable especially for reds as any sediment dropping out in bulk won't be in the bottle. Regardless of which is "better", are the 2 methods "equivalent" in terms of time? e.g 2 months bulk + 10 months bottle compared to 10 months bulk + 2 months in the bottle... If a wine is bulk aged sufficiently, does time in the bottle become a non-issue -- the wine is ready to drink right away after bottling?

Bulk aging process:
  • The kit instructions say to add 1/4 tsp metabisulfite if aging the wine more than 6 months. Is 1 time for this sufficient or should it be done again for even longer aging? I assume this should be added for bottle aging also?
  • I've also read about(not in the instructions) adding campden tablets, 1 per gallon. I assume this is in addition to (not replacing) the metabisulfite addition. Is this a 1-time thing or might it also need to be repeated?
  • Multiple rackings: is it best to do this as-needed based on sediment build-up during aging? What do we do about lost volume for each racking -- top it off again or is the head space not an issue?
Thanks for any info!

There's a reason wineries bulk age instead of bottling right away and aging in the bottle. There are at least couple of advantages to bulk aging. If one makes a lot of wine bulk aging takes up less space. As you noted, bulk aging allows suspended particulates to drop. Also, sudden variations or fluctuations in temperature is less of an issue due to the greater mass of a bulk container. Lastly, and this is especially true for kit wines, bulk aging allows excess CO2 to escape. Aging in the bottle will trap the CO2 for a much longer period of time.

Extra k-meta is suitable for bottle aging as well
Campden tabs are the same as k-meta and are used interchangeably
I almost never rack more than once, though many people rack 2-3 times. I feel that a single racking reduces the chance of oxidation. Whatever works for you.

tom777
Thanks for the great question I was wondering the same thing. :)

summersolstice
Thanks for the detailed answer.......you da man

thanks for the info. I have 4 new batches of wine in the works with the most recent just in secondary with the oldest getting close to the point it could be bottled (going by the kit instructions). I haven't seen any downsides to bulk aging which is good for me as 4 better bottles take a lot less room than 120 bottles! Plus, I will probably start another batch or 2 along the way.

So, what I'm thinking:
  • after the clearing/stabilizing step of the kit instructions, let the wine sit for a month or 2. This would take me past the point where the instructions say it could be bottled
  • Rack the wine to another BB adding the 1/4tsp k-meta (or campden)
  • bulk aging for 6-8 months. I'm shooting for bottling this maybe Sept/Oct timeframe or a bit later.
  • along the way, if there is significant sediment buildup, could optionally rack again
  • bottling
  • drink
Anyone see any problems with this?
I still would like a couple clarifications though..
  • when racking the wine additional times, do you top it off again to the neck level of the BB/carboy?
  • at what point would a further addition or k-meta or campden be needed (if any)?
  • when bulk aged, is there still some minimum recommended time for the wine to 'stabilize' in the bottle before drinking?
Thanks again for any info.

I still would like a couple clarifications though..
  • when racking the wine additional times, do you top it off again to the neck level of the BB/carboy?
  • at what point would a further addition or k-meta or campden be needed (if any)?
  • when bulk aged, is there still some minimum recommended time for the wine to 'stabilize' in the bottle before drinking?
Thanks again for any info.

It's important to get the wine off the gross lees in the primary but the fine lees produced in the secondary aren't a cause for concern. The disadvantage of multiple rackings is loss of wine, requiring topping off with a like wine (desirable) or water (less desirable) and the very real possibility of oxidation. Always top your carboy as full as you can get it.

One additional addition of K-meta should be sufficient for bulk aging up to a year.

Bottling results in "bottle shock". I allow the wine at least a month to rest in the bottle.

I have a question for you guys when it comes to bulk aging wine. I am about ready to jump into wine after making ciders and beer. I plan to start kegging sometime in the summer and will have CO2 on hand. Would you have less to worry about if you pressurize one of the Better Bottles with CO2 and transfer into it with a vapor lock on top allowing the incoming wine to push the CO2 out? I think I remember seeing something similar to what I'm talking about on the better bottle site, if you're running ported bottles that is.

Beyond just transferring wouldn't it be easy to just pump some CO2 out of a 5lb bottle on top of the wine and not use preservatives? I'm just thinking out loud basically. I figure back in the day winemakers didn't have all these chemical tablets available like modern makers do now.

Just noticed that a couple wine kits have a 4th step for a racking after the stabilizing/clearing step, but prior to bottling. Others do not. Is it ok to do this even for the kits that don't specifically contain this step in the instructions? I'm guessing it is... but would hate to be wrong. Thanks!

In another thread some people have suggested using marbles instead of topping up. I like that idea for better bottles but am a little weary of doing it in glass carboys. Perhaps the wine will slow the marbles down enough that they can't break but I am a little worried.

It sounds like the marbles will also make it harder to siphon sediment up.

After stabilizing/clearing there will be lees so you need to rack prior to bottling, otherwise you will get sediment in your bottles.

Guess I should have worded this better: the extra racking is to another carboy for some time followed by the bottling step. The other kits go directly to the bottling step.
Here's a link to one with the extra step:
http://www.winexpert.com/pdfs/kit-instructions/estate_eng.pdf
And one without:
http://www.winexpert.com/pdfs/kit-instructions/world-vineyard_eng.pdf
Thanks for the info!

Back