Pappy`s Pub Cider - Award Winner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 gals of tree top apple juice (sometimes Motts if the store is out of tree top)
10 LBS table sugar (wal mart brand cheap stuff)
1 packet Lalvin EC-1118 yeast
1 tablespoon yeast nutrient (wyeast beer nutrient blend)

No rocket science here, just dump everything in the carboy and let the champagne yeast do it's thing.Primary till all bubbling of the air lock stops then wait a week.After the week is up rack to 2ndary (optional)
I used "super-kleer K.C."{kieselsol-chitosan} in 2ndary (optional) to clear the cider and the stuff is amazing.Cold crash in the freezer for an hour and bottle.

Do not attempt to drive,operate heavy machinery,or anything requiring coordination or basic motor skills after drinking this.

Cheers.

How long in secondary?

How long in secondary?

Well, the OP says 14-28 days primary, 14-28 secondary if you wish. It is optional and I personally wouldn't bother. With the wine yeast, I would say no less than 14 days in primary. I did the Edwort's version which uses far less sugar and after about 21 days it started to clear more. With 10lbs of sugar, you're going to want to let the yeast do it's job for as long as humanly possible. 14 days is short to me with that yeast/sugar combo, so I would do this with at least 28 days in primary.

If you don't let the yeast finish then that is okay but you best pasteurize those bottles to ensure they don't explode. Or keep all of them in a fridge. :)

If i had the ability to edit the OP to change to primary 30 days + i would.I primary everything for a month + nowadays for a diacytal rest.
Secondary lenght depends on a few factors.My last batch i used 3 cinnamon sticks in it and i let em sit for 3-4 weeks.If you are oaking i would also let it sit for a while.But if you are only using secondary for clearing reasons then the time needed in secondary isnt long at all.The K.C.-super kleer literally works overnight.So if you are only using secondary to clear after a month+ in primary it doesn't take long.

even without nutrient 1 packet is enough, the yeast will multiply in the first 48 hrs assuming they get oxygen for the first 24.
If you don't have nutrient, use a bananna peel n all. what u wanna do is cut the butt stem off then slice the whole 'nanna into pennies. 1 'nnana per gallon. They will provide sufficient nutrient and will leave any flavor. use the ones that have a few black spots on the peel. I have an "ale pale" it has the small hole in the lid for an airlock. I put a empty airlock on and swirl the bucket 2 or 3 times a day for first two days, and gently push down on the lid and hold a second or so then release, that will exchange some air for the yeast to get oxygen.

Hi when do u remove the Banana's is it once the primary fermentation is complete or before .................cheers

Does anyone know how to filter this stuff? I have found that I am pouring it out of the bottles and leaving about an inch left over to not disturb the sediment layer, which makes it very bitter and nasty if it gets into my glass.

Also, I DO NOT recommend trying to carbonate this stuff naturally. I just had a bottle go nuclear on me, while in a dark corner. I will try refrigerating the stuff, but I suspect that they are irreversable bombs now. Fortunately, I don't have to pitch the stuff. It is still good to cook with :) Marinate some chicken breasts in it (whatever is left after it fizzes over into the sink), add salt, red and black pepper, and a lemon wedge. Serve with pasta and run the marinated juices over the pasta. DELICIOUS!

I'm going to use KC Super Clear? tomorrow, been told it will clear in 24 to 48 hours, will get back after it has been done

john

kc

I'm going to use KC Super Clear? tomorrow, been told it will clear in 24 to 48 hours,

"liqour quik" SUPER-KLEER K.C.
(Kieselsol & Chitosan)

Yes the stuff works literraly overnight for ciders.
I HIGHLY recomend using it for this cider.
You won't be dissapointed with it.

Just started a batch of this with a few variations. 4 gallons AJ, 4 lbs domino table sugar, 2 lbs corn sugar, 2 lbs honey.

This recipe will be my maiden voyage into hard cider. Will the high alcohol content totally kill the yeast off? Does it need to be pasteurized? I plan to keg/force carbonate this recipe.

Is 16C too cold to ferment this?

Will the high alcohol content totally kill the yeast off? ?
The yeast becomes inactive but i cannot say that it is 100% killed off.

Does it need to be pasteurized? ?
The name brands of juice in this recipe are allready pasteurized before you buy them i do believe.

Is 16C too cold to ferment this?
No. But it will take a bit longer to do it's thing. I've done this recipe several times now around the 20-21C mark and get rave reviews from people whom get to try it.

Hope this helps.
-Cheers.

Hi i followed this recipe and have just primed and bottled, once i get to the right level of carbonation i want i was thinking of Pasteurization ie: 190 degree pan of water turn of gas put bottle in for 10 min (praying for not homemade bomb lol). this method is talk about allot but what do you all think about using it on this recipe cheer....................

The yeast becomes inactive but i cannot say that it is 100% killed off.

The name brands of juice in this recipe are allready pasteurized before you buy them i do believe.

No. But it will take a bit longer to do it's thing. I've done this recipe several times now around the 20-21C mark and get rave reviews from people whom get to try it.

Hope this helps.
-Cheers.

I mean pasteurized after the fermentation. Since I intend on kegging, it will have a relief valve in place, and it will be refrigerated as a whole batch, it shouldn't need to be pasteurized/yeast killed off by other means?

I have a difficult time regulating my fermentation temperature. I have about 16C in my (basement)brewing room, and a brew belt will bring it up to about 22-23C. I can't reliably hit in between.

Hi i followed this recipe and have just primed and bottled, once i get to the right level of carbonation i want i was thinking of Pasteurization ie: 190 degree pan of water turn of gas put bottle in for 10 min (praying for not homemade bomb lol). this method is talk about allot but what do you all think about using it on this recipe cheer....................

For avoiding bottle bombs i think it would work just fine.
I personally keg so i can't say that i've used that method.
I also have read somewhere on here a guy just putting his bottled brews in
his dishwasher set to it's hottest setting for pure laziness reasons.:cross:
Either method should work but i can't say that i personally have done them.

I mean pasteurized after the fermentation. Since I intend on kegging, it will have a relief valve in place, and it will be refrigerated as a whole batch, it shouldn't need to be pasteurized/yeast killed off by other means?

I keg as well.
Haven't bothered trying to pasteurise.
It isn't needed.
I do run a nitro-tap though set @ 30-p.s.i.
Once in a few batches there's a tiny amount of yeast at the bottom of the keg but it spays right out with the sink nozzle,nothing to worry about.
Just keep in mind i primary for a month minimum and sometimes 2-months depending on how R.L. busy i am.(2 jobs will do that to ya)

I just racked mine to secondary after about 1.5 months. Racked to 1 gallon with 2 cinnamon sticks, 1 gallon with mashed frozen blackberries, 1 gallon with mashed cranberries, and 1 gallon I left alone. Tried a sample, forgot to take gravity, but it tasted ok, pretty yeasty and hot alcohol. It'll sit another few months in the gallon jugs so we'll have to wait and see how it changes from now until then!

I keg as well.
Haven't bothered trying to pasteurise.
It isn't needed.
I do run a nitro-tap though set @ 30-p.s.i.
Once in a few batches there's a tiny amount of yeast at the bottom of the keg but it spays right out with the sink nozzle,nothing to worry about.
Just keep in mind i primary for a month minimum and sometimes 2-months depending on how R.L. busy i am.(2 jobs will do that to ya)

Thank you for the help! I will be getting started on this soon, but a batch or two of beer may be up on the block first...

I will report back with results when I have some.

Thank you for the help! I will be getting started on this soon, but a batch or two of beer may be up on the block first...

I will report back with results when I have some.

If carboy space is a concern,
If you have an extra airlock+bung or 5.
You can make cider in the plastic jugs the juice comes in.
Also i recently went to "sams club"
they have 4 gallon water jugs that are "PET-1"
for sale for 5 bucks with water in them.(no return & no exchange)
I wont get into the whole `glass vs plastic` debate
but if you don't mind fermenting in plastic $5 for a 4-gallon jug is hard to pass up.
-cheers

I currently have 3 empty carboys, so that won't be an issue. I really need to get my keezer finished up, and get some stuff brewed up to keg!

Finally got my cider bottled. Already finished off one bottle. Great taste to it.

pappy.jpg

Started mine 16 November and it is still bubbling away rapidly. I'm hoping to move to secondary next weekend with some clearing agent then bottle after 48 hours. Planning on giving some away as christmas gifts so hopefully it turns out well. Even if it doesn't, I wont be the one drinking it!!! :)

You might want to wait a little longer in primary.
There is a LOT of sugar in this recipe and fermentation can go on for some time after the airlock slows/stops.
You don't want to make bottle bombs.
(I keg personally and fill any bottles from tap well after fermentation is stopped)

You might want to wait a little longer in primary.
There is a LOT of sugar in this recipe and fermentation can go on for some time after the airlock slows/stops.
You don't want to make bottle bombs.
(I keg personally and fill any bottles from tap well after fermentation is stopped)

OK. I'll start checking FG next weekend and see where it goes. I have a Peach Honey cider I can bottle if this is not done in time. I was also worried this might be kind of hot since it would be young. Have you had any problems with that or is it usually drinkable while young?

It can be pretty hot/rocket fuely when it's young.
I now personally let everything i make sit for no less than a month in primary.
Secondary for this cider depends on if you add cinnamon or coco-nibs/vanilla beans.
If adding those items i'd let it sit in secondary for 3-4 weeks.
If not adding items then i only let it go long enough to clear the cider.
This usually is a very short time as i use KC Super-Kleer (great stuff)
However i will often increase primary for 3 weeks often if doing that.(that's on top of the 4 weeks)
(how close to empty my kegs are influences this heavily)
Your best option is to drink a bottle of it just before your shipping date.
If it tastes `ready` then you are good to ship.
I personally think this cider improves with age but at the same time i've not had the patience to let anything age beyond 4 months (from yeast pitching to crying over how my keg of it is now empty)
Hope this helps.
-Paps

I'm like you Paps. I had mine in primary for a month and then in secondary for about 3 months and that was without any cinnamon or anything added. I've had several people try it and they like it but to me I say its still about 60/40 to the alcohol side of the taste even sitting that long.

I tried to reply a bit ago, hopefully I don't double post. Anyways, GD2, what an awesome label!

New to corny kegging, but after 60 days in primary and secondary, will this carb up sitting in a corny at room temp for a few weeks? I run one regulator, so I can't force carb. Should I add a bit more sugar/aj concentrate at kegging?

Just plug your keg in at serving pressure and let it sit for a week before drinking it.
(that's let it sit still plugged into your co2 tank)
No need to add more sugar or apple juice concentrate.
Even at serving pressure its `still` a type of force carbing.
Just not the blast it at 30-psi and drink in a day.
I carb at 30-psi but i personally run a nitro-beergas tank.
Which is a different animal than straight co2.
Picture guinness like pours on a hard cider.

I have made a few batches of cider, and have found out if the fermentation temperatures aren't closely watched, the "hot" alcohol flavor pushing the nail polish remover smell, is hard to avoid. When I first started making cider, I didn't know to treat it like I was brewing beer, all I did was keep the light off it. I now use ESB 1968 London ale yeast to make my ciders, and am quite happy with the results I have been getting.

EDIT: In response to an earlier post, aging is required if you really want smooth drinkable cider. I made a batch 6 or so months ago, and thought it needed some time to get nice, because at one month it wasn't really drinkable. I mean I did drink one, but I waited another month and drank another, and it was really better, not great, but better. At that point, I put all of my bottled ciders in the back/bottom of a closet. I opened one last week, and I was really surprised at how great it was. That particular batch was pasteurized in the dishwasher, and all those months later I had carbonation w/o bottle bombs. I learned the hard way about not trusting my instincts, I used a soda bottle to check on carbonation levels, and I chickened out. I was so afraid of making bottle bombs, I jumped the gun on pasteurizing and had no where near the carbonation I had hoped for. Live and learn, I guess. I did have one blow out in the dishwasher, and i can still hear the little pieces of glass moving around. Next time I pasteurize I will use one of my pots with a weight on the lid, to keep the glass if any controlled.

I threw together a variation on this tonight. Used 1 gallon of McCutcheon's unfiltered apple juice (OG 1.044) poured it into a stock pot. Added what I guess to be a little over 2# of domino light brown sugar (repurposed from wife's cookie making stockpile) boiled it down to the 1 gallon mark, tossed in half of a cinnamon stick at flame out. I poured it back into the glass jug it was sold in. Chilled it with frozen bottled water in my 5 gallon pot. Then I pitched a full packet of red star champagne yeast.

OG is 1.138. I will check in from time to time with updates.

CavemanDom said:
I threw together a variation on this tonight. Used 1 gallon of McCutcheon's unfiltered apple juice (OG 1.044) poured it into a stock pot. Added what I guess to be a little over 2# of domino light brown sugar (repurposed from wife's cookie making stockpile) boiled it down to the 1 gallon mark, tossed in half of a cinnamon stick at flame out. I poured it back into the glass jug it was sold in. Chilled it with frozen bottled water in my 5 gallon pot. Then I pitched a full packet of red star champagne yeast.

OG is 1.138. I will check in from time to time with updates.

Not bad stuff from McCutcheon's. I love the fact that you can snag a 1 gallon jug for the same price as Wally Mart sells a gallon of overseas juice. Plus your supporting local business.

acarr160 said:
Not bad stuff from McCutcheon's. I love the fact that you can snag a 1 gallon jug for the same price as Wally Mart sells a gallon of overseas juice. Plus your supporting local business.

I also price checked my LHBS, I'll be darned if they aren't the SAME glass jugs as the juice. And with the price difference, I'm getting a gallon of juice for 60 cents!

I calculated an ABV of 16-18% depending on the viability of the yeast!! Try freezing the water out and see what you get. I assume you have to keep the temp down, otherwise you would get some pretty harsh flavors from the yeast?

Cheers

Checked on mine this morning, was started 13 days ago. The airlock has settled down, but I can still see bubbles in the liquid coming up. Looks like my work schedule will let me re-rack next Sunday night.
The version with ginger syrup is in about the same spot, although it was done with T-58.

I think the timing should work out. My anniversary is feb 7th, and it just may be drinkable by then.

Well it's been about 2.5 months since I started this cider. I let it ferment out until the yeast couldn't go any more. Had to add some concentrate to get some apple flavor back, the yeast stripped most of the apple flavor out. I have a gallon of each; blackberry, cranberry, cinnamon, plain apple and a black/cran combo. So far I've been drinking the cinnamon and it's great, very potent too. It's pretty good still but if I get the stuff to force carb before it's gone I'd like to see how it is carbed. One more note- at one month it was done fermenting but still lots of yeast in suspension and very yeasty taste in the cider. After little time that taste is pretty much gone.

It's pretty good still but if I get the stuff to force carb before it's gone I'd like to see how it is carbed.
Yeah...it's not easy staying away from it once you start drinking it.
I find it better when carbed but that's just my own personal prefference.
I'm bringing a corny full to the company x-mas party tonight so i'll get to see what the `bud-light` drinkers think of it.

Racked the ginger version to secondary this evening. Hydro said 1.038... OG was 1.124. Work called me in so I couldn't rack the cinnamon. I will do that tomorrow, hopefully.

Tasted it too. Ginger version certainly is gingery. Rather sweet, but has a slightly sulfury smell to it, although it isn't very noticeable in taste. Hopefully the smell will mellow...go away...

Will check in as things happen.

Back