Yeast pooped out at 1.028. Pitch new yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know there are a ton of threads concerned with pitching new yeast and the consensus is no. But I haven't seen anyone ask this question. I had a beer go from 1.070 and stopped a week later at 1.028. It is 4 week old dusseldorf alt yeast. Still enough active to carb my bottles?

You could try to let it go longer, but I'm wondering at what temp you mashed. If you mashed at a higher temp, then you may have extracted more unfermentable sugars than fermentable. Thus leaving I fermented sugars and a higher FG. Could this be your case?

To expand further, in the case I presented, pitching new yeast will do nothing for you. Thought I'd actually answer your original question.

yes. I mashed too high @ 158. I also got WAY better efficiency than my anticipated 72% using pro mash. I got 84% and ended up with a 1.070 altbier. Did not pitch a yeast starter either. So this being the case and assuming the fermentables are eaten, should I be good to bottle?

Yes, there should be enough to carb your bottles. It really doesn't take much. The target most commercial brewers use for bottle conditioning is 1 million per ml. You're 1.070 (17°P) wort should have started at about 13 million per ml or for five gallons (19 litters) that's about 250 billion cells or two an a half tubes or packs. The final cell count was probably about 1.5-2 trillion cells. You should be able to find the 20 billion you need even if it did stop short.

With no starter and the 158 mash I'm sure you are done and ready to bottle.

Here are the top ten causes of a stuck fermentation:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/top-ten-reasons-why-your-final-gravity.html

And the top ten ways to restart fermentation:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/top-ten-ways-to-restart-fermentation.html

Sounds like a complete fermentation rather than a stuck fermentation. If the mash was at 158F, then there are a ton of unfermentable sugar in the wort. I'd say go ahead and bottle. It will most likely be a bit sweet and full bodied, maybe not what was anticipated, but live and learn! The yeast as previously mentioned should be fine.

+1 on what tyzippers said. You'll have a sweeter, full bodied beer because of the mash temp. You got 60% attenuation, which is low, but you have all those unfermentable sugars.

I'd still check it in another couple of weeks, it ain't ready for bottling even if fermentation is complete.

COLObrewer said:
I'd still check it in another couple of weeks, it ain't ready for bottling even if fermentation is complete.

I agree. I originally thought the fermentation was four weeks old. Then I read it again. The ferment is only at one week with four week old yeast. I'd definitely give it another week or so before bottling.

I should have said that the yeast has been pitched for four weeks. I went ahead and bottled the beer on thursday, it us now sunday and I popped one open to see if it was carbing up...I was happy to see a somewhat carbed beer.Thanks to everyone who replied. BTW the alt tastes great.

Tamingthabrett said:
I should have said that the yeast has been pitched for four weeks. I went ahead and bottled the beer on thursday, it us now sunday and I popped one open to see if it was carbing up...I was happy to see a somewhat carbed beer.Thanks to everyone who replied. BTW the alt tastes great.

I'm glad it is working out for you! It's amazing how good a beer can turn out when you think it's completely screwed!

Latest posts

Back