Rinse Steeped Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
I bought a 2 gallon extract kit w/specialty grains. It's a Pale Ale and in the instructions it says to:

Bring 2.3 gallons of water to a temp of 150 degrees and steep grains for 30 minutes

Rinse steeped grains with 2 cups of 160 degree water.

I'm kinda confused about that part. About what it does and exactly how I need to go about rinsing them?

It just gets a little more of the sugar/color/flavors off the grains. You can teabag the grains, put them in a strainer and pour the water over them, or skip the step.

Just hold the grain bag over the kettle and slowly pour 1/2 gallon - 1 gallon of water over it... Whatever you do, do not squeeze the bag. That extracts bitter and off flavors...

Technically you're "sparging" your grains when you rinse them with water. It's one of those "advanced" techniques in brewing. If any of those grains are base malts then you are actually brewing a Partial Mash.

I think you can skip the rinse step.

I strain my specialty grains/malts, but never rinse them. The beer still tastes great.

I used to always squeeze the bag, can't say I recall any bitterness/off flavors.

Now I do the rinse method. I just put it in a strainer over the brewpot, and I bring about a gallon to a boil then pour it over. Not exactly boiling, though. Just almost...

The way I see it, I want to get the most out of it as possible. Still some good sugary goodness in there!

I do both - rinse & squeeze. I'm too cheap to waste even a few pennies of this stuff. No problems yet. Actually all but my first 3 learning batches have been fantastic - I have more friends come over than ever before and I'm not that pretty to look at! :eek:

I was never able to hit my target OG until I started rinsing the grains. Like dunnright00 said, put your grain bag in a strainer over the pot and pour the hot water over. No need to squeeze, the water will run pretty clear.

Thanks for all the input! Here's what I ended up doing...

After the steeping was finished.. I pulled the muslin bag out and untied it, held it open and let my fiance' poor the 2 cups of 160 degree water over them...

the OG was 1.060 which was spot on!

Thanks again!

I do like the old "Monks" and don't have any problem with OG or FG. Just don't measure it, let it ferment for a couple of weeks, carb for a couple of weeks and then in the frig.

The longer it is in the refrigerator the better it tasts and looks.

Back