Wort Chiller Type Inquiery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holzster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using a submersion wort chiller, without wanting to open a can of opinion worms - what are the advatage of using a plate chiller compared to the submersion?

I see Whirlpooling one thing but others?

thanks

I recently upgraded my homemade IC to Jaded's hydra . It's awesome! It's crazy how fast it works, even though it's an IC. (I also got the whirlpool arm so I don't have to stir during chilling, and I have a nice trub cone) Before purchasing it, I was also looking into plate chillers or counterflows and found lots of fellow homebrewers that put a lot of effort into cleaning and sanitizing their plate chillers for brew day.

I've seen this pic float around and I can't imagine how it can all get clean even after backflushing every use
Plate-Chiller_cutaway.jpg

I guess I might be stuck in my ways, but hosing the chiller off takes little to no time, it's clean, and it's ready for the next use. Not to mention, it chills in the same time that a plate chiller does. I've also read a bunch of threads of brewers that go from plate chillers back to IC's after a year of use.

I guess to get back to your question, from what I've seen, plate chillers seem like a pain, especially since the same effect can be achieved with less effort.

OK thanks - I use bucket of sanitizing liquid I have left after brewing to clean the wort chiller - just to save water - no real other reason.

thanks for the response.

Back