Smell my fingers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today was hallertauer bagging day, and cascade harvesting day.

The harvest on the hallertauer was very small (only 4 ounces dried) but wow were they fragrant! Last year was more plentiful, but not all that great in aroma. This year, these hops smell awesome. I'm going to make something on Wednesday, just to use some of these as flavor/finishing hops.

The Hallertauer were ripe about a week before the cascades. They were in a fully sunny location but we've had a cold damp summer, and they looked fine.

The cascade is about 1/2 harvested. I'd say we have more than last year, probably 1/3 more than last year. We ended up with 16 ounces dried last year, and I'm sure we have more than that this year.

The great part is how awesome we smell! Wow- even though my fingers are stained yellow, I really don't mind very much at all. Hops- the odor of champions!

Hear that man!!! I havested some wild hops today, and i just love that sticky feeling and the smell! Nothing Better!

They're finally ready here in da UP. Picking this week in Gwinn too.

What kind do you have? I only have the two- I want to get some centennial and maybe chinook next spring.

I really love the fresh cascades- I have dryhopped with them and used them for flavor and aroma hops in the boil. I am sorry to admit I've never used any of the hallertauer, but I'm going to change that this week!

Nice, Lorena..."watch me lure in a bunch of horndogs who don't know how to use the rollover preview function". I salute you!

Yoop - When your fingers look like this, it not a bad idea to pick your nose if needed! :D

2009_ML_Tripple_Hop_001.jpg

I use a set of Fiskar bypass pruning shears, and grab the bine or leaves, and try not to touch the flowers.

I bet you guys don't know about herb grinders, or kief screens either, do you? :D

Harvested Centenial and Cascade. With rain in the forcast, we wanted to make sure nothing went to waste. Now I got to figure out what to do with all last years excess. Anybody know a really good hop overload beer a little bit off the mainstream, or shall I just go with an over hopped IPA?

Harvested Centenial and Cascade. With rain in the forcast, we wanted to make sure nothing went to waste. Now I got to figure out what to do with all last years excess. Anybody know a really good hop overload beer a little bit off the mainstream, or shall I just go with an over hopped IPA?

My vote would be for an over hopped IPA. :mug:

I got 3 ounces dried off the Cascade and nothing from the others. The heat wave in July basically stopped all sidearm growth and really stunted the cones that did grow. The Perle cones were the size of peas.

Why to waste? Have your hops never been wet?

Maybe it was just knee jerk to get us through the harvest, but it really didn't look like there woudl be much more production to my hop growing friend, and I am a newbe so had no opinion. The reasoning sounded good to me and there was plenty for both of us, so harvest went on. Ten separate strings, about 20 feet up each. Ended up with probabily four bushel baskets total.

I've picked in the pouring rain - but that's Oregon.

Just used alot of fans in the garage that night. My garage has never smelled better . . . well except for the next day when I brewed a batch with 4+ pounds of fresh hops in the mash and the boil.

I picked all my Nugget last night and it is currently drying.

I still have three Cascade plants to harvest....I have a ton of Cascades so I'll probably be picking one plant at a time so that I have the space for drying.

My Mt. Hood once again did nearly nothing this year after a very promising start.

Latest posts

Back