Gravity Question - What did I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loosey

Reaction score
hey everyone.

this was my fist entirely at home brew, the recipe is listed below here. everything went relatively smoothly and i think the beer will turn out just fine. i have one question about the gravity however.. BS estimated 1.048 for my final but i measured it at 1.040 at 80F. even assuming a .003 differential for the temp im at 1.043 and a bit low. unless im calculating that adjustment wrong the only thing i can imagine is that my gravity dropped because i added too much to start to account for my boil off.

i boiled in a 10 gallon kettle, using 6 gallons to assume a one gallon evaporation. i actually had a 1.5 gallon loss and didnt bother to add more because of the low OG.

is that a possible explanation? and if so, am i better off just boiling 5 gallons of water then adding more at the end to make sure im closer to my target? thanks for any insight

Brew Type: Extract
Style: Hefeweizen/American Wheat
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Volume: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Steep 1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (11.0 SRM)
Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.042 SG with all grains/extracts added
60 min 5.75 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)Extract
60 min 0.50 oz Saaz [3.60 %] (60 min)Hops
30 min 0.50 oz Saaz [3.60 %] (30 min)Hops
10 min 1.00 oz Saaz [3.60 %] (10 min)Hops
5 min 0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)Misc
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380) Yeast-Wheat

Original Gravity: (Estimate: 1.048 SG)
Final Gravity: (Estimate: 1.011 SG)

Actually with a lower final volume your OG should have been higher. My guess here would be that somehow you had less extract than you thought or your final volume is higher than 5 gallons.

:tank:

Back