Color change from fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmonty

Reaction score
Just brewed the Weizen recipe from Brewing Classic Styles using extract. Used two cans of Wheat LME and added a pound of Wheat DME to six-gallons. Got the pre-boil gravity and OG numbers right but the color is not. Was expecting yellow but instead have more of an orange color in the hydrometer.

The question is: would the color change to a lighter color after fermentation, or is what I see the final appearance?

Thanks!

Just brewed the Weizen recipe from Brewing Classic Styles using extract. Used two cans of Wheat LME and added a pound of Wheat DME to six-gallons. Got the pre-boil gravity and OG numbers right but the color is not. Was expecting yellow but instead have more of an orange color in the hydrometer.

The question is: would the color change to a lighter color after fermentation, or is what I see the final appearance?

Thanks!

i would not expect to see a color reduction, typically when using extract you get a darker color than AG. won't make a difference, your beer will still be good.

Wiescins is right. color from extract is off most of the time but the taste should still be good. It might clarify a little in the secondary but it will be virtually the same

wiescins said:
i would not expect to see a color reduction, typically when using extract you get a darker color than AG. won't make a difference, your beer will still be good.

Well, as long as it's tasty, that's good for me!

You might have burned the sugars a little and what you're seeing is caramel color diluted by the volume.

But as others have said, if it tastes good, DON'T COMPLAIN!

Back