forgot the yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glacierbrew

Reaction score
all-grain batch mashed out and in boil pot sunday afternoon. realized i had no yeast and brewshop not open until tuesday. finished out boiling same day, brought up to 5gal w/filtered water (PUR), poured into sterilized plastic bucket with bubbler lock with 75% bleach solution and closed her up. I guess it'll go about 50 hours total without the yeast - plan to use Safale american pale yeast. What're the chances i'll get a decent beer out of this one?

Thanks guys! (i hope yer not all laughing too very loudly:)

you'll get beer. you will drink said beer. you will not forget the yeast ever again. these aren't the droids you're looking for.

Whenever I use a dry yeast, I buy 2-3 packets so I can keep some extras. I also think you'll be OK......

Excellent! Thanks very much guys! I've got her at a constant 68 degrees. When i go to the brew store tomorrow, I'm buying two yeast packs and keeping one in fridge.

Thanks again! I actually lost some sleep last night worrying!

It will be fine. BTW - I'd choose not to use bleach in my airlocks. You certainly can, but there are rare instances where a drop in pressure might cause the fluid in the airlock to get sucked back into the beer.

A couple of good alternatives are Cheap Vodka, or starsan sanitizer. Starsan won't affect the flavor of your beer, and vodka will only up the alcohol by an insignificant amount.

Also, I recommend having a couple of spare packets of dry yeast in the fridge. I learned my lesson once.

It will be fine. BTW - I'd choose not to use bleach in my airlocks. You certainly can, but there are rare instances where a drop in pressure might cause the fluid in the airlock to get sucked back into the beer.

A couple of good alternatives are Cheap Vodka, or starsan sanitizer. Starsan won't affect the flavor of your beer, and vodka will only up the alcohol by an insignificant amount.

Also, I recommend having a couple of spare packets of dry yeast in the fridge. I learned my lesson once.

I was going to suggest the same thing. That's an aweful lot of bleach in an airlock. Cheap vodka is just and inexpensive and is neutral in flavor addition incase it leaks into the fermentor. Plain old water is a better option, as far as I'm concerned than a bleach solution.

Yeah, nix the bleach. I've gone a couple days before without pitching yeast, having forgotten to make my yeast starter PRIOR to brewing. Whoops. But all turned out well. RDWHAHB.

If there is anyway to put it in the fridge to slow down anything that got in there I'd do that. I think you'll be fine though.

Get that bleach away from the beer! It wouldn't take more than a drop or two to ruin the whole batch with some funky flavors that you won't like..... unless you favor drinking from the pool.

Latest posts

Back